From the 'It's later than you think' department

webcraft

From the \'It\'s later than you think\' department

This quote came to me via a passing copy of May's Yachting World. I liked it so much I thought I would put it up here for those of you who missed it. The quote is from Sterling Hayden, a Hollywood actor who starred in Dr Strangelove among others and was at the height of his career when he abandoned it to set sail in a schooner called Wanderer.

---------------------------------------
‘To be truly challenging a voyage, like life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest.

. . . “I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.”

What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine. And before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need, really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all, in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be, bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?’

Sterling Hayden , from his book ‘ Voyage

Gunfleet

Re: From the \'It\'s later than you think\' department

Powerful piece of writing.

suse

My equivalent has been having lots of children, who are now reproducing! I love them all, and that's the problem - I dont want to just rush off and leave them indefinitely, but sometimes I'd like a few months off for good behaviour - a couple of times a year is the aim. Now - how to pay that mortgage while I do ....

tcm

too right webby, so...

i have burned a ton of loot on airflight to tahiti this xmas, and then to Society Islands by dodgy plane. Apparently it is ded hot and sweaty so i asked for aircon boat. But that means a skipper, so bit more arguing and i'm YM (ahem though Power not sail) means no prob if we have a Cook, and me as skip. Hurrah!

My post-hol report will be available BUT the price has gone up! So i am afraid i will have to charge TWICE what you paid last time, ahem. And no blimmin quibbling!

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Re: The thing is that

sure it's powerful but it's fantasy.

These men (women too) have rarely been dragged into the machine. Once you've gone someway up the greasy pole, got the family, bought the house you are bolloxed. It takes a strong mind to break the mold and often the hearts of those about you.

Sure you can shoot off when your older, but then there's the grand kids and all that.

The secret for most people is to dream on if you must but have little adventures along the way. I think thats a lot to do with yachting as most of us do it.

Who was it said "most men live in desperation"?

oldgit

Re:But.......

The grass is always greener until you actually get there.

jimi

I often think of my recent forefathers who were miners working 6 12 hour days a week, life must have been drudgery but their minds were the same as ours. How did they survive? Quite simply we are animals with the need to survive and procreate high on the list of must do's. Only when our basic needs are satisfied can we then think of self actualisation (simplistic Maslow hierachy of needs). So the poor & beggars rarely even dream far less do, its only the rich who do either.
Except for the very rare aesthete .. and I'm not one and I do'nt know if I want to be!

Gunfleet

Listen, Grashopper

Cobblers. Less Tressel and Orwell required. You need to read Robert Service, Jack London and Maxim Gorky. Only then will I allow you to move on to Barnett Newman, 'the first man was an artist'

webcraft

What a bunch of whinging apologists . . .

I see that was pearls before swine.

We all have choices. Every second the universe bifurcates . . . we go one way or the other. The choice is ours to make.

If you believe it is impossible to follow your dreams then you are kidding no-one but yourself. It is YOUR choice to bury yourself in routine, job and family, so enjoy it or forever haud yer wheesht . . .

jimi

Re: What a bunch of whinging apologists . . .

Aha .. in reality the apparent freedom of choice is but an illusion created to make us feel in control of our destinies. In the real world our current freedom of choice is constrained by choices made in the past, personal responsibilities, fortune (as in luck), material possesions, health etc.., IMHO those who seem to exercise freedom of choice at will are really psychopaths driven to pursue certain goals regardless of consequences. They in fact often have less freedom of choice than normal people because they simply cannot control their actions. And of course the philosophic gobbledegook emerges to justify and raise to a higher plane their actions ... because they are abnormal and not understood within the boundaries of the normal responsible mindset.

oldgit

Aha .. in reality the apparent freedom of choice is but an illusion created to make us feel in control of our destinies. In the real world our current freedom of choice is constrained by choices made in the past, personal responsibilities, fortune (as in luck), material possesions, health etc.., IMHO those who seem to exercise freedom of choice at will are really psychopaths driven to pursue certain goals regardless of consequences. They in fact often have less freedom of choice than normal people because they simply cannot control their actions. And of course the philosophic gobbledegook emerges to justify and raise to a higher plane their actions ... because they are abnormal and not understood within the boundaries of the normal responsible mindset.

I just said that already /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jimi

No you did'nt .. you said
"The grass is always greener until you actually get there. "

which is completely different!

The meaning of that expression is that the dream is better than reality. Not at all what I said.

webcraft

Eric Hiscock was a psychopath

Good grief Jimi, are you suggesting Eric Hiscock was a psychopath? I'm sure he inconvenienced a few people by following his dreams - very unusual dreams in those middle-class English days they were too.

Perhaps it is the apparently unavoidable constraints on our freedom that are the illusion? They are certainly used as an excuse. I'm not some levitating apologist for the Natural Law Party, but there are ALWAYS choices. There are also, unfortunately, consequences - which is what I think you are getting at.

It is the modern desire for having cake, eating it and then getting more cake and eating it but not getting fat or having indigestion or having to pay much for the cake in the first place that is the problem. People have choices, but are not prepared to accept any negative consequences of those choices. Therefore they say 'Well, I really don't have any choice do I'?

You might as well quote predeterminism for all the sense that makes.

The suggestion that those who follow their dreams when most of us would feel unable to do so because we are constrained by circumstances are in some way abnormal is true. To call them psychopaths is going a little far. Some decisions we make in pursuit of our own happiness may impinge negatively on the happiness of others - but this does not make us psychopaths.

It is all a question of degree. I'm sure your Ma or whoever brought you up didn't like some of the company you kept when you were younger, and she probably worried about you a lot. You knew that but still pursued your own happiness. Did that make you a psychopath?

I think not.

oldgit

Re:As a whinging apologist may I just say . . .

Ooops sorry,M,lud.A salutary lesson of what can happen when an idjit like me learns finally how to cut n paste.