From Split to Corfu.....Buying and delivering a Yacht.

Cariadco

Visit site
Having just purchased my Boat in Split, here's a short story of my adventures......

First of all, Split is wonderful. Completely and utterly charming, everyone speaks great English and there's millions of Bars and Tavernas, all very reasonably priced. We had a great time there.
The Boat was purchased from Emil Tomosavic, who is the Beneteu dealer in Split. My boat was his own private Boat, but he has a Racing school, a Brokerage and flogs new Beneteau Yachts. A complete Gentleman, and nothing was too much trouble. A real pleasure. Here's his website:

https://www.beneteau-croatia.hr/

So, the process of buying a Croatian boat:
-Agreed the price and paid 10% deposit, in euros to his bank
-Survey carried out, passed to my UK insurers who were happy with it, so then paid the outstanding balance.
(The survey was not in the British 'Narrative' style, but of a Item, followed by some details about it, and the surveyor's opinion on it's condition. A little strange at first, but found this style of survey to be thorough, Itemised and very complete. I liked it!!)
-Picked up the Boat, motored over to the Customs Jetty, jumped off and trotted over to the Harbourmaster's office. There the Yacht's Croatian License was checked, The Boat Insurance and the crew list was stamped and then, off we went, back to the Customs office. They checked my Passport, and the Crew's for any dodgy history and double stamped the crew list document.
-Off we sailed. You leave Split heading west, through a channel about 800m wide, they call the 'Doors', turn south and head off for Corfu, about 280 odd miles away.
-Weather was supposed to be a piece of cake. Gentle 5's to 6's, South or South Easterlies, for the next three days.
It wasn't!!
-Every night it blew upto about 25kts of wind. Lively Sailing. On the last night, bang middle of the Adriatic, about 100 kts off Montenegro, the wind went up and up and up. It settled at 40 kts for about 3 hours. We had the Jib reefed to the size of a front door, and we we're still flying along at 10kts, screaming over breaking waves, and dropping into the abyss, on the other side. All in complete darkness........
-Got down to the Albanian coast and from there on in, it was a doddle.
-So the 300 miles took us about 54 hours.
Now I send back to the Broker, the Croatian License and the Stamped 'Exit' document (Crew list)
He'll then de-register the Boat from the Croatian Registry and send me the original (and Translated and notirised) VAT Clearance Certificate, along with the NCD Compliance Certificate (again translated and notirised).

Lessons learnt?
- Split was ace
- The Broker was excellent. Easiest purchase of a boat, I've ever done.
- Don't trust the weather!!!

The Boat?? it's an Archambault 40, a sort of flying machine!!

Regards.

AndrewB

Visit site
Look forward to seeing you in Corfu with it when we get back. Sounds a fun boat, good for fast cruising down the Dalmatian coast, seems like it went really well.

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
We've done the journey a few times and never stopped in Montenegro - the cost, the check in and the time it would add to the trip is what has put us off. We tend to be time limited
You are missing out. Kotor is a real treat. The formalities at Zelenika are easier than those at Cavtat in Croatia, and the country uses euros.

RupertW

Visit site
You are missing out. Kotor is a real treat. The formalities at Zelenika are easier than those at Cavtat in Croatia, and the country uses euros.

We tend to check in and out much further up the coast than Cavtat - usually Korcula - as I've heard irritating things about Cavtat, but I do regret not setting the time aside to get to Kotor. We are in Spain now but probably back in the Eastern Med in 3 or 4 years time and should make the effort.

capnsensible

Visit site
Glad it went well and interesting to hear about the broker. Im off to Croatia to pick up a yacht in a week or two for onward delivery to Gib.

Getting the boat released has been 'interesting'. Its a french flagged ex charter boat. Bought by a friend of mine. The company had been great, boats only a few years old but in exchange for a few more months use they have replaced keel bolts and standing rigging as part of the deal. Oppo went there to witness that and got the phots.

Then it went a bit wonky. Boat as mentioned is going to another no VAT place so despite being paid for, we are waiting for an export certificate and notarised bill of sale. As this involves French and Croation officialdom (which the broker could actually have sorted earlier) we are delayed. Phone calls have revealed that hopefully, wont be long.

Any time is good for me, but the Owner has to give a weeks notice for leave to do the trip. Soo, hopefully, a couple of weeks will see us underway from Croatia and also hopefully, the weather wont be too pants....

Thats a lot of hope in there!

RupertW

Visit site
Glad it went well and interesting to hear about the broker. Im off to Croatia to pick up a yacht in a week or two for onward delivery to Gib.

Getting the boat released has been 'interesting'. Its a french flagged ex charter boat. Bought by a friend of mine. The company had been great, boats only a few years old but in exchange for a few more months use they have replaced keel bolts and standing rigging as part of the deal. Oppo went there to witness that and got the phots.

Then it went a bit wonky. Boat as mentioned is going to another no VAT place so despite being paid for, we are waiting for an export certificate and notarised bill of sale. As this involves French and Croation officialdom (which the broker could actually have sorted earlier) we are delayed. Phone calls have revealed that hopefully, wont be long.

Any time is good for me, but the Owner has to give a weeks notice for leave to do the trip. Soo, hopefully, a couple of weeks will see us underway from Croatia and also hopefully, the weather wont be too pants....

Thats a lot of hope in there!

Good luck - when we bought our boat it took from July to late October to get export clearance.