French marinas such great value?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Villaine River

Thats where we are at the moment at Redon, coming out for winter at La Foleaux- and plan to be on a mooring in R- B next year.

It is one of the most beautiful rivers in France, though the entrace was scarry as we had not left enough time for the rise of tide in the bay approaches. Is it shallower than on the charts (10 years old)? I rechecked my calcs and rconned I should have had about 2.5 min but we had 1.8 at one point, - flat calm but I will be a lot more careful when there is a swell running.

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Villaine River

The entrance is notorious when there's a swell running. If you use the French chart is has breakers (brisants)marked right across the outer part of the entrance. There was an article in a French sailing magazine in July about a chap in a well found boat who nearly killed himself and his crew there. But if it's that bad - and it's usually not - you have several all weather ports and the lee of the islands nearby. You don't have to go into the Vilaine.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Villaine River

My real concerns were that I will be having long weekends on the boat, which means you have a deadline for getting back in. so a little planning on the tide states for the chosen weekends should solve that problem.

Are you moored in the river?

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Re: Plus ca change....

This summer (August) Boulogne was in great form - the water was variably black or white with sewage/effluent. And the smell at low water, an all-time beater. It actually crept up the hill behind the harbour!

But Ostend wins the cup - a thick brown scum that attaches itself to your boat and will not come off without considerable effort! Choice.

Exceptions in quality, I agree, but all except Fecamp have raised their charges for berthing, and all have divvied up for showers (where charged) on account of the euro!

Yes, 2002 was the year the nice daily rate advantage to the continent narrowed perceptably. But look on the bright side: perhaps when (if) we lurch after our continental cousins and join the euro, our marinas will divvy up too - and the differential will be restored.

I knew there was a silver lining somewhere!

Peter Gibbs

Footpad

Visit site
Re: How many showers???

How do you get so dirty on your boat. I am old enough to remember a bath every Sunday whether I needed it or not, surely two showers a day is verging on compulsive behavior?

Footpad

Visit site
Re: Can you smell me from there?

No offence intended, I respect your crew's right to shower as often as they please but I think you describe a fairer arrangement in France. I and mine shower on average every other day, assuming we are in a marina, with two persons on the boat we use one showers worth of hot water per day where you will be using four. In terms of resources used it seems entirely fair that you should pay more than me. I now realise why British marinas are so expensive I have been subsidising your crews showers all these years!