French canals return route to UK

NickRobinson

Visit site
Hi-
I'm viewing a 10m yacht near Toulouse. 1.1m draft in salt. 40hp. Best way to return to the UK this coming season?
Minded to pop out at Bordeaux rather than Rhone uphill. Thoughts please-

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We took our 10.5 metre boat, draught 1.4 metres, through the Canal du Midi to the Med in 2005. We touched a few times on the downhill stretch but nothing too serious. I understand that more silting has occurred since then but it would be surprising if you could not get 1.1 metres through. There are many leisure and hotel boats up and down that draw more than that.

De.windhoos

Visit site
have a look at Ruby Rose on Youtube. They took their Southerly from the Med through the Canal du Midi last summer. This week they did a Q&A on their trip. However, looking at your cover picture on FB, you might be too high?

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Depending on the time of year (e.g the aftermath of spring can bring stronger Rhone currents from snow melt) you ought to get through south-north using the rivers and canals ok. Or you should be ok cutting through east-west to Bordeaux and Biscay. Your choice, really.
Anyway, tons of information on the FW website, including . . .

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Hi-
I'm viewing a 10m yacht near Toulouse. 1.1m draft in salt. 40hp. Best way to return to the UK this coming season?
Minded to pop out at Bordeaux rather than Rhone uphill. Thoughts please-
The Midi route brings you out just south of Bordeaux and you motor for half a day to the old submarine pens to put up your mast DIY or one of the places in the Estuary... Then to Royan and out round to La Rochelle to go up the coast towards the UK.. Or offshore ish in one hop. Either way from Bordeaux it is a bit of a distance to UK waters,

The Canals Route is interesting and less touristy. River Rhone part of the trip is around 4 days then the Saône and into the canals.. I have done the entire trip in 10 days but do not recommend it... Nicer slower! The other good bit is you end up coming out in Le Havre, or St Vaast or Calais and its just a hop across the channel, I have done the Rhone several times and except in winter the current is not an issue although the Saône does flood if it rains a lot in winter.

Personally I prefer the Le Havre route and rivers over the MIdi. Yes, it is very picturesque which is why there are so many self drive hire boat companies operating on it which makes it all feel a bit 'fun fair' and 'kiss me quick' plus fuel is expensive and it only gets you 3/4 of the way home..