Forum member meeting: Cote d'Azur - West Italy

marcochi76

Visit site
Hello
I was thinking it could be nice to organise a reunion with all forumers from South of France - Western Italy, to close the summer season.
I am in Beaulieu sur Mer.
Who would be in?
It could be fun
Cheers
Marco

jrudge

Visit site
I am in Beaulieu now. The place is deserted and I have literally seen no other person on their boat other than an Azimut launch party / hospitality event.

I commented as we wondered back from lunch as to how it could be so quiet in August !

mcanderson

Visit site
I am in Beaulieu now. The place is deserted and I have literally seen no other person on their boat other than an Azimut launch party / hospitality event.

I commented as we wondered back from lunch as to how it could be so quiet in August !
Weird. We walked last all the restaurants on the port last night and commented on how many people were about. Have you popped up to the village centre as it is normally rammed, particularly around lunch.

Prestige have also taken over the Jenneau spot in front of the port office for their pre-Cannes event.

mcanderson

Visit site
It's really quiet here in Saint Raphael too, I wonder why. TBH, it has been quiet all summer
Couldn’t get into St Tropez again despite booking a week out, which is the maximum. So as we were 1/2 way between St Jean and Antibes when we got told that St T was off, we diverted to Nice. Loads on here.

jrudge

Visit site
Weird. We walked last all the restaurants on the port last night and commented on how many people were about. Have you popped up to the village centre as it is normally rammed, particularly around lunch.

Prestige have also taken over the Jenneau spot in front of the port office for their pre-Cannes event.
They maybe in the port but there is nil evidence they are on boats !

We came in last night and there was one man in his hot tub on the bow of his boat ( we didn't get an invite ) and one other boat with interior lights on. We were having the same why is there no one on their boats discussion !

mcanderson

Visit site
They maybe in the port but there is nil evidence they are on boats !

We came in last night and there was one man in his hot tub on the bow of his boat ( we didn't get an invite ) and one other boat with interior lights on. We were having the same why is there no one on their boats discussion !
Ah, I know where you are berthed. We walk some evenings that way with our dog and the larger boats along that wall are largely left with crew only. Hope your stay has been enjoyable. We are currently in Nice.

DAW

Visit site
My feeling is also that this summer has been quieter … still busy in the peak weeks of August and in the main tourist hotspots, but not so crazy as in the recent post-Covid era. It’s certainly been much easier to reserve berths and book popular restaurants in places like Cannes and St Tropez through July and August

French school holidays finish at the weekend and many people were back to work on Monday. There’s always a slight dip at the end of August as those with kids depart and those looking to benefit from September weather and relative peace and quiet start to arrive.

Regarding.Beaulieu … Many of the owners of boats on the outer wall (26-35m) and the restaurant quay (18-20m) live in Monaco or have properties in the local area. Most of these boats are looked after by crew or guardiennage companies. The owners don’t stay onboard much and it’s rare to see them there when the boats are in the marina.

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
Whole of the south of France has been quiet, whereas Amalfi area I've never seen so busy. Aeolians were heaving, we didn't get over there but Croatia looked mobbed too judging by the AIS, likewise Costa Smeralda.

marcochi76

Visit site
I've been in Corsica and Sardinia this summer, and can confirm as well that there were a lot of boats in Costa Smeralda. But I also have to admit that I had no pb in finding an available berth (Calvi, Bonifacio, Santa Teresa, Poltu Quotu, Porto Rotondo, ...).

Concerning Beaulieu being dead: I am one of those of live in Monaco and keep the boat in Beaulieu. It is thus rather rare that I stay overnight. But when I do, it is not very fun as at night the harbour is really dead, and quite scary.

My parents have a boat in Lavagna, Italy. It is a completely different experience. Boat owners come from Milano, Torino, ... and use the boat as 2nd house. Thus the harbour is very croudy. And you can develop nice friendly relationships with your neighbors.

ps: Sardinia - Cala di Volpe area
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_76e6.jpg