Fortress Anchors

Close hauled

Visit site
The feedback I got about my post on Spade anchors has led me to decide that I'll get one to use as my main bower anchor.

I've been thinking that a Fortress anchor would make a good second bower anchor. Lightweight, strong, good reputation.

Any comments?

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
You'll find quite a lot on these if you search the archives. I have one, used with about 5 metres of chain plus anchorplait. It does pretty much what the blurb says, i.e. it is very light to handle and holds very well with a solid pull. The converse is that it is only a Danforth type and is subject to all the problems of that design, i.e. somewhat selective about the bottom that it likes and not good at rebedding. I have dragged twice with one when tide or wind changed but never on a Delta. I use the Fortress for lunch stops and the like but will never use it for overnights.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
I have a 65lb CQR as the primary bower and I use a Fortress as my second anchor on 10 metres of chain and anchorplait.

I have only deployed it when expecting it to blow the best part of a gale and it has worked well. It can be a bugger to set it through sea weed but once set it works well.

I cant recall lying to it in a tideway (see Vyv's comments)

<hr width=100% size=1>A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2003

jamesjermain

Visit site
Tests we have done on the Fortress have yielded impressive results. As Andrew Bray said of the Spade, the only real problem we had was getting it to break out.

I agree in theory with the comments about it being 'only a Danforth', but I have got it to hold on Rock, in weed and, obvously, on sand and in mud. Resetting has not usually been a problem. However, on the turn of the tide, its grip in sand can be so ferocious that it won't turn with the flow, thus putting a very unfair load on the shank which can and does bend.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Fortress now produce a cheaper but similar model anchor, called the Guardian. It is basically the same, but these are the differences that I can see...

Plain (not anodized) aluminum alloy, so the appearance is a dull grey. Just as strong though.

Not adjustable angle for very soft mud.

May be worth a look.

Gael Force chandlery in Inverness (online and postal service too) do Fortress/Guardian anchors at a good price.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

snowleopard

Visit site
i carry 2 of them, one as a kedge and a huge one for heavy weather (my bower is a delta).

i have used them when the delta dragged in soft mud, no more dragging.

i once set the small one (FX16 i think) on sand. as i took up the slack by hand the anchor glided across the bottom like a small manta ray. no way could i get it to bite.

on the other hand i used it for a stern anchor when lying in a tight anchorage with a soft bottom. when i came to leave it was so firmly embedded i thought it had fouled a mooring. on that performance i don't think i'd ever have lifted the big one (FX37).

the ability to dismantle and stow in a locker is great but it takes a fair time to reassemble.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hylas

Visit site
This month, the French magazine "Voiles & Voiliers" just publish a very interesting anchor test (steel and Aluminium) including holding curves and submarine photos but.. unfortunately in French..
I will try to translate the comments about the Fortress and the Guardian..

As you could suppose, the first one, by far, was the Alu Spade (6.5 kg) with 650 kg in sand.. yes, only 650 because they have been affraid to break the leaded line.. and they stopped the test at 650 kg
the Fortress (6.5 kg) was only in the third position with 370 kg and the Guardian (5 kg) in fourth with 250 kg..

If my translation is correct.. they said:
Fortress: Very well known because for long it has been the only aluminium anchor in the market, the Fortress is overtaken by more recent models.. it resists constantly in sand until a fatal break out and it doesn't dig in again..

Guardian: a cheap sister of the Fortress, half the price but its performance are also half those of the Fortress.. It (she) behave like her sister.. with a good holding.. wich break out sudently and fast, whithout any hope to dig in again..

<hr width=100% size=1>