Forgive my ignorance once again - wintering

Gavi

Visit site
First winter

I know what to do... but am uncomfortable about spitting out antifreeze when I want to use the boat... should I be worrying?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Why would you be spitting out Anti-Freeze? If your boat is in the water it would take several days & days of well below Zero to affect your motor(s). So if you are using your boat regularly there's no worries other than gas geysers that are more affected and do need draining down if left unattended for days of below freezing. Anyways, one greenhouse heater left in engine room and set to come on at '0' solves all.

Thamesbank

www.thamesbank.org.uk
Empty the cooling water then!

I assume you are refering to the external cooling water.
I simply close the stopcock just before shutting down the engine. This removes the water in the external cooling system, so nothing can freeze. The internal cooling is of course full with anti-freeze, which stays where it's put.
As byron wrote, a small heater set on low is enough to keep the engine from freezing, but you need assured power supplies.

miket

Visit site
Re: Empty the cooling water then!

Unfortunately, that method will not remove all the water which is why people close inlet valve and then flush through with anti freeze and water mix.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Re: Empty the cooling water then!

Exactly.
I started to get paranoid when I kept breaking my fresh water valves inthe SeaLand loos. They're well inboard and shouldn't freeze anyway. (It's a rubbish design / manufacture..)

So a bit of Risk Analysis:-

Water in inlet hose(s).
Well no pressure so probably would expand if frost very severe.
Water Pump
Nasty, close tolerances, ice could do nasties to impeller or even casting.
Heat exchanger
smallish pipes and anyway surrounded by antifreeze protected engine cooling. Has to get very cold before damage here.
Water block
solid looking plastic, but never full of water so ice would just expand?
Silencer
Should be empty as surplus would drain back to the water block.

BUT risk analysis is far too modern to me so I put a bit of antifreeze in the water filter and run the engine momentarily. Ireckon that the small quantity won't doo too much damage, 'suppose I should use alcohol - ethyl, IPA or friendly glycol, but where to get. Come to think of it a strong sugar solotion might well depress the freezing point

tcm

Visit site
Byron's advice is excellent as always. It is also popular (though not absolutely vital) to spray a fine mist of greenish/blackish slime over the decks and canvas before leaving the boat over winter.

Cliveshep

Visit site
Re: Forgive my ignorance once again - wintering - True Blue

Antifreeze costs a couple of pounds, heat exchangers cost at least three pounds fifty, maybe more! (a lot more) The mere presence of antifreeze around those little pipes doesn't stop the temperature going down inside them, and what about your sea-water pump impeller?

I always run an anti-freeze mix through before shutting down, for good measure I run some through the toilet as well, ceramic bowls have been known to crack, and through the shower outlet pump. I also take off the fresh water pump ends and drain the pump, whether necessary or not is immaterial, they are expensive to replace.

I do no longer bother to drain the freshwater system, mostly based on opinions of those with long boatyard experience, my tank is fore and aft in the keel area of ther hull and unlikely to freeze, although generally try and tip some out of the calorifier by disconnecting the feed pipe for a minute or two, the bilge pump deals with the spillage. It is more susceptible in the above water line area of the engine bay.