For the Term of His Natural Life

Ships_Cat

Visit site
I think this forum is a good idea but seems a bit quiet so here is my useless addition to try to help it along.

An Antipodean book that I enjoyed very much was "For the Term of His Natural Life" by Marcus Clarke written in the 19th century. This is a real Oz classic and out of keeping with their general despising of and inability in the arts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Not a saily book at all but alot of the sea and sailing ships though. Has good well defined characters and a good and unexaggerated story - and well researched.

Was done also as a TV program quite some years ago and although I watched that I can't recall thinking it was particulalrly great (may have also been a film too, don't altogether recall). But, reading the book more recently, found it a great story and hardish to put down (actually read while away sailing).

Wonder if others have read it and what they thought. Is readily available in ebook (free on Project Gutenburg, Blackmask and also available for online reading at http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/words/authors/C/ClarkeMarcus/prose/NaturalLife/index.html if you want a quick flavour of it) and in "real" book form both new and used.

John