Flying the Cross of St Georege

lustyd

Visit site
Since it was commandeered by the football idiots I believe you're supposed to mount them on your windows - just place the plastic in before closing...:rolleyes:

tom52

Visit site
Since it was commandeered by the football idiots I believe you're supposed to mount them on your windows - just place the plastic in before closing...:rolleyes:

How true.
Since the common oiks have been flying the English flag we superior sailing types could not
possibly have it anywhere near our yachts.

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Well I'll be the patriotic common sailing oik with Cross of St George flying from his yacht on Saturday.:p

I might even fly a Blue Ensign as well for extra Oikishness:eek:

Quite so. Superior types never fly an ensign. They wear it.

Nor, apparently, do they fly their club burgee from the spreaders. To quote the Royal Thames Yacht Club: "the burgee must never be flown from the spreaders or the rigging .... To do so is to treat the Club's Colours with contempt."

If the same applies to the Cross of St George it looks like its masthead or nothing.

The RTYC 20-odd flag FAQs are a scream:

http://www.royalthames.com/sailing/yacht-information/ensigns-and-permits/faqs/

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The Royal Thames Yacht Club... I wouldn't want to make any sort of derogatory comments about such an esteemed establishment, but I note it takes two to three months to join and they don't advertise their subscription rates. I wonder how much it costs to be member? Or is it a case of 'if you have to ask you can't afford it?

Robin

Visit site
I have a huge St Georges flag but defaced with the Poole emblem in one corner that we used to fly as a battle flag together with our own house flag from the spinnaker halyard. Originally intended for use when racing with PYRA which was years back but in later years used as a counter to the various Cornish black rags that were appearing as so called ensigns around our favourite cruising areas in Southern Brittany. I also have a small courtesy flag sized St Georges Flag. Sadly we are currently between boats waiting to move Stateside so have nowhere suitable to fly either.

I had some idea if seen on a navy vessel it reads as 'Admiral on board', not sure if that is true???

st599

Visit site
The Royal Thames Yacht Club... I wouldn't want to make any sort of derogatory comments about such an esteemed establishment, but I note it takes two to three months to join and they don't advertise their subscription rates. I wonder how much it costs to be member? Or is it a case of 'if you have to ask you can't afford it?

I went there to do them a favour once. Took me well out of my way. Once I'd finished I went to grab the food (which they'd said they would provide) from the restaurant and was kicked out for not wearing a blazer and slacks.

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
As it is St George's day on Saturday and I will be sailing I'm going to fly the Cross of St George. So out of idle curiosity is there a particular place on the boat it should be flown from?

Before you get too excited about that particular national flag, you might want to look up something about 'St. George', now generally considered to have been a Muslim Turk who converted to Christianity in the days of The Crusades. 'St. George' has absolutely nothing to do with England - the bloke never even set foot on English soil. Flying that flag has always been a rather provocative gesture.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I had some idea if seen on a navy vessel it reads as 'Admiral on board', not sure if that is true???

True. If one ball in hoist = Vice Admiral and two balls = Rear Admiral.

Last week we had Admiral Lord West onboard and as a past Chief of Defence Staff he is entitled to the Union Flag at the Masthead.

Now awaiting the usual forum slagging about flags.

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Oh dear god, what happens when you give old men with blazers a bit of power. They have club Byelaws, for crying out loud.

Not just byelaws apparently:

"Wearing the Blue Ensign is restricted to yachts whose owners are members of yacht clubs who have been granted a General Warrant and are privileged to wear the undefaced Blue Ensign. ...the current legal basis is the General Warrant of 8th February 1985. ... Also it should not be forgotten that these are legal obligations under Ministry of Defence Regulations and there is a maximum penalty of £1,000 for the improper use of special ensigns."

The man who explains this [ http://1st-watersport.co.uk/blue.html ] is photographed in his blazer so it must be true.

Seajet

Visit site
I'm not rabid about it, but it is upsetting the way Englands' flag has been perverted by football morons, while the Scots and Welsh are untainted.

It's half tempting to try to 'claim it back' by flying the St.George cross, but I'm afraid it's too far gone, and I'm not going to be mistaken for someone who has any time for football !

Norman_E

Visit site
Quite so. Superior types never fly an ensign. They wear it.

Nor, apparently, do they fly their club burgee from the spreaders. To quote the Royal Thames Yacht Club: "the burgee must never be flown from the spreaders or the rigging .... To do so is to treat the Club's Colours with contempt."

If the same applies to the Cross of St George it looks like its masthead or nothing.

The RTYC 20-odd flag FAQs are a scream:

http://www.royalthames.com/sailing/yacht-information/ensigns-and-permits/faqs/

That set of FAQ's makes me very glad that I wear the Red Ensign and have nothing to do with the particular brand of pompous stupidity adopted by clubs like that.

rob2

Visit site
I'm not rabid about it, but it is upsetting the way Englands' flag has been perverted by football morons, while the Scots and Welsh are untainted.

So what are all those Scottish Saltires waving in the breeze on the stands? It is arguable that the Welsh don't have an equivalent flag, as they are a principality rather than a kingdom. That pretty much guarantees my Easter invitation to my (Welsh) sister-in-law's roast lamb will be cancelled!

You can get St Georges cross bunting - you could dress overall with that.

Rob

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
Oh dear god, what happens when you give old men with blazers a bit of power. They have club Byelaws, for crying out loud.

Quite so. I particularly enjoyed the advice that if going ashore to a party, for example, the ensign should be taken off early rather than risk it being worn after dark and with no one on board. No doubt the Flagiban will be patrolling the pontoons checking for the unlawful wearing of blue ensigns after midnight and administering punishment. What would that be, I wonder?

jordanbasset

Visit site
This is disgraceful common English oiks are allowed to fly the flag of St George to support their football team.
It should be reserved for us yachties and possibly supporters of Rugby, Cricket, Tennis (less of a problem now that nice boy Tim Henman no longer plays), and any other sport which has a more upmarket following. Heavens they will be allowing them to vote next...