Fly Dinghy

Mark-1

Visit site
Many moons ago I owned a 'Fly' dinghy for one season. At the time it reminded me of a scaled down OK dinghy. I've done a quick web search and based on the flimsiest of evidence it seems there may be some association with Lea Valley SC. (http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/information-about-foil-fly-dinghy-classes-2987.html)

I don't recall the boat with any affection, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me anything about the Fly class. (Who designed it, how many were there, where were they sailed.)

fly.jpg

This is everything I've found just in case anyone ever finds this:

Length 2.74m, Beam 1.22m
The Fly class was originally designed by R. Fillery, then was 'improved' by one K .Ford. It was intended for home building, and is allegedly a 'purpose built' youth trainer for the British Moth. I believe the fly was originally partially constructed with canvas
Ken Ford used the Fly as a British Moth trainer at the Lea Avon SC (Lea Valley SC???) which was at Hyams Park Lake on the edge of Epping Forest. It was one of the clubs in the area that folded when the King George reservior opened for sailing in 1971. At the last count Ken's family had a couple of Moths at Benfleet SC.

Last edited:

pjt

Visit site
More on fly class

The Fly was designed by Roger Filery and subsequently modified by Ken Ford. I believe that both Roger and Ken sailed British Moths at the Lea Valley Sailing Club in the early 60's. Roger's design had canvas for the hull and a very shallow cockpit having a plywood floor - it would not have been possible to stand on the canvas - Roger's Fly was very difficult for anyone more than a small child to sail. Ken added freeboard and introduced plywood in place of the canvas such that there was no need for a cockpit floor, the floor could be the ply of the hull making the cockpit somewhat deeper and more practical for older helms. These modified Fly's were sailed at the Lea Avon Sailing Club originally based on the river Lea at Clapton but in the 60's the river was rather polluted and when the opportunity arose the club move to a lake at Highams Park. I’d guess that about nine Flies were built by LASC. We rented a workshop for a Polish chemist in Leyton. Although Highams Park was a much better environment the surrounding trees of Epping forest meant that winds were few and fickle.

Badger55

Visit site
Fly dinghy

Interesting to see some information on the fly. I learnt to sail at lea Avon sailing club. I was allocated my own fly (Guilimot) I then went on to sail British moths all at highams park lake. I knew Ken and gave me my love for life, sailing. Now live in Cowes and sail:)

samuel Jewell

Visit site
Fly

my Granddad was Rodger Fillery, and though i know little about the boats handling/design, i know that he had always intend it to be used to get people into sailing, the moth class dingy. it was in his own words designed to be cheap to build as well. my Grandad was never a fan of elitism in sport, and was always a champion of sports for all.

on a side note if anyone has or knows of any fly dingy's that are for sale please let me know i would love to give one a go.

XTE

Visit site
Re: Fly dinghy

I too was a member of that sailing club in the 70's when I lived nearby in Woodford green. I was allocated a Fly called African Queen. Plywood with roll top sides. The club house was just amazing to climb up into. I learnt to sail there at about 10 and now at 52 I still sail out of Titchmarsh Marina on my Bene 373. Have had a few boats and always will. What happened to the big yacht that we all helped to build in the boat hose. Blue Peter covered its removal after lifting off the boat house roof. We collected old newspapers to raise money for its build. I think that Ken Ford ran the club and I see that he died a few years ago. I remember capsizing my fly many times, mostly on purpose for a bit of fun. The roll top sides stopped any water getting in. Great memories.

BeeKay

Visit site
Hello all.
I came across this forum and post completely by accident.
I was one of the founder members of the Lea Avon SC.
The founding members were Peter Totenham and A N Other whose name escapes me. Along with Ken Fords son, Graham. (Who I went to school with)
Ken was a glazier by trade I seem to remember. He and his family lived in Shrubland road Leyton. He also had a daughter, Patricia.
The first 2 flys built were to the original dimensions but had a plywood hull instead of canvas.
On subsequent builds the freeboard was increased by a couple of inches and the cockpit floor dispensed with in much the same way as the British Moth but on a smaller scale.
My Fly was built as one of the first redesigned ones with sail Number 53.
It was built in the workshop above "Portalls" the polish chemists in Lea bridge road. Leyton.
In the early days the boats were built as "group builds" with everybody assisting in the build but the "future owner" funding the project.
Fly dinghies were also sailed by the Lea Valley SC who hosted the first (and to my knowledge) the only international event for the class.
I managed an overall second for which I still have a trophy somewhere. (when I dig it out Ill post the date of this event on here and on Wikipedia under the fly info.)
The original LASC was located in the riverside garden of a house owned by a cantankerous old lady who went by the name of "Jenny"
One of the many reasons the club moved to Highams Park lake was that it simply outgrew the Leaside premises.
I believe a grant was also secured from the local council to fund the new site.
I seem to recollect that Jenny may have passed away as well.
Although I did sail at Highams Park for a short while, I eventually took my boat to Broxbourne lake where the winds were much more reliable.
It would be interesting to hear from any other past members of the LASC who perhaps remember me! Graham or Patricia?
I hope you find this info usefull or at least interesting.
Brian Kent.

NeilP

Visit site
XTE -- I joined LASC after you left, if I recall.

The name of my Fly was 'Tot', which I lovingly sanded and repainted 'post box red' one winter. Won a few trophies in that boat, went on to sail Moths and Merlin Rockets. There was also an old National if I recall.

I remember Patricia and Graham (had an Mini 850 panel van, with fiberglass bonnet) and many of the other faces, but few names.

Lots of hard work collecting old newspapers every Wednesday evening. Then, once a month, stuffing the papers into old flour sacks donated by a club member's Dad - a baker. Then, loading it all onto a truck for recycling. Funds used to go towards the club and the large yacht under construction. I remember a significant milestone was reached when the engine was purchased, then fitted and test run.

Many fond sailing memories during the long summer months. We would take turns to man the rescue boat, go up to the race box on the roof to start and referee races (we used an old klaxon horn), go to the sweet shop for Jubblys, etc. One year weeds took over the lake and made sailing impossible, so we all jumped in and waded from one end of the lake to the other. Came out covered in leeches, the smell was really bad.

During a rare UK visit last year, I walked to the lake and saw the club house is still there, but it's all boarded-up and the racing box has been removed. Several permanent looking bollards have been placed right in front of the main yard gate - where the boats used to be carried in and out. Not sure why.

SorcerorII

Visit site
I also sailed at LASC, when I was about 12-13 years old. I remember Ken Ford with great affection. I was allocated the boat Sorcerer II.
The person who recalled that Ken was a glazier is correct, I remember the glass bar and hours spent polishing it, though no one ever remembered to bring a rag to do it with. But there were many opportunities for learning, not just sailing, but also diy, maintaining the boats, working as a team, etc.
Some of the names I remember besides Ken and his family are Graham 'Tommo' Thomas, who very ably taught us newbies the basics of sailing when we first arrived, Flo (can't remember his surname), Dave Clark, the Bott brothers, Warwick Woodall who I remember chiefly for catching fish with his hands, a guy called Phil whose surname began with T...Turner? Not sure. There were many others who I remember but first names only. I wasn't a star at sports or sailing but it was still a valuable experience!

SorcerorII

Visit site
Thanks wombat88! Must admit my interest in the thread was mostly in recalling LASC and the people who made it tick, but I am sure the link will be interesting to others and I'll check it out too.

SorcerorII

Visit site
Hi Brian
I think you had moved on by the time I joined but I remember Ken very well, and his daughters Patricia and Diane, also Graham & their mum who used to come down sometimes.
By the time I was there the older boys (sounds funny to call them that given that no one was over 16!) included Flo, Dave Clark & Warwick 'Woody' Woodall - I'd probably recall others if people mentioned them. I was there for a couple of years and left when I went to high school.
It'd be interesting to hear from others who recall those times.

Belinda23

Visit site
Hello
I wonder if anyone can help me
My dad Peter Barnes lived in Walthamstow. He knew Ken Ford, he was never one for sailing, but helped him build the boathouse.
This is all knew to me but my dad 85 , and started talking about him. He wondered what happen to him and wanted to see a picture of him. I've search but can't find a photo of him, as someone so important I thought there be one. Can anyone tell me about the boat house of it still there please.
Belinda