Flushing out. Fuel tank

Wansworth

Visit site
Almost all the boats I viewed with an eye to purchasing have their fuel tanks in almost inaccessible places as if the designers had no idea what they where designing or had never been to sea with a blocked fuel system.It occurred to me that if the hidden fuel tank was a major stumbling block could it be flushed out through the filler pipe and draining sans filter…just thinking outside the box!.?

Tranona

Visit site
Of course it can be cleaned through the filler. First thing is to use a vacuum pump to suck all the rubbish out from the bottom then dose the fuel. That is what I did with both my tanks. also possible to get a professional fuel polishing service to do the job for you including cleaning the fuel.

Wansworth

Visit site
Of course it can be cleaned through the filler. First thing is to use a vacuum pump to suck all the rubbish out from the bottom then dose the fuel. That is what I did with both my tanks. also possible to get a professional fuel polishing service to do the job for you including cleaning the fuel.
Ok,thanks

B27

Visit site
1) It depends what dirt is in there.
There could be sticky tarry stuff, or just dirty water.
There could be lumps of stuff which either don't go in the pick-up pipe or block it.
2) A lot of yacht tanks don't pick up from the very bottom, and/or have flat bottoms so dirt and water can easily be left behind.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Almost all the boats I viewed with an eye to purchasing have their fuel tanks in almost inaccessible places as if the designers had no idea what they where designing or had never been to sea with a blocked fuel system.It occurred to me that if the hidden fuel tank was a major stumbling block could it be flushed out through the filler pipe and draining sans filter…just thinking outside the box!.?

As others have said, there are relatively simple (if potentially messy!) steps you can take to minimise the risk of fuel problems/blockage, even if you can't properly access the tank. Depending on layout you may also be able to cut and install an inspection plate to give you better access (if you can be bothered).

Taking a step back, though, there are myriad things that can be or go wrong with any boat. None of design, construction and maintenance are ever perfect. Yet the vast majority of boats, the vast majority of time, are fine. Of course things can (and at some point almost certainly will) go wrong, but none of us would ever buy a boat if we focused too much on all the things that might go wrong (or, as I first typed it, 'worng'! 😁).

I do get extremely nervous when launching after being laid up for the winter, or even more so if it's been longer than that, thinking of all that could go wrong, and all that I know is less than perfect. But after an hour or so that quickly dissipates, as the boat does pretty much what it's supposed to do, and the joy of being out on the boat displaces all the worry, trouble (and expense!) of getting it as ready as I can.

Having been boatless for a long while you are easy prey for the 'sky might fall in' panics. Certainly do due diligence, but don't let those natural worries take over and prevent you from getting a boat if that's what you want.

Of course, a fuel blockage at the wrong moment can have dire consequences, but disasters are almost always a combination or sequence of problems - you get too close to a lee shore, then the sails blow out or mast falls down, THEN the fuel line blocks. Normally the latter would just be an embarassment or inconvenience.

Good luck with your viewing of the Gibsea. (y)

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
T
As others have said, there are relatively simple (if potentially messy!) steps you can take to minimise the risk of fuel problems/blockage, even if you can't properly access the tank. Depending on layout you may also be able to cut and install an inspection plate to give you better access (if you can be bothered).

Taking a step back, though, there are myriad things that can be or go wrong with any boat. None of design, construction and maintenance are ever perfect. Yet the vast majority of boats, the vast majority of time, are fine. Of course things can (and at some point almost certainly will) go wrong, but none of us would ever buy a boat if we focused too much on all the things that might go wrong (or, as I first typed it, 'worng'! 😁).

I do get extremely nervous when launching after being laid up for the winter, or even more so if it's been longer than that, thinking of all that could go wrong, and all that I know is less than perfect. But after an hour or so that quickly dissipates, as the boat does pretty much what it's supposed to do, and the joy of being out on the boat displaces all the worry, trouble (and expense!) of getting it as ready as I can.

Having been boatless for a long while you are easy prey for the 'sky might fall in' panics. Certainly do due diligence, but don't let those natural worries take over and prevent you from getting a boat if that's what you want.

Of course, a fuel blockage at the wrong moment can have dire consequences, but disasters are almost always a combination or sequence of problems - you got too close to a lee shore, then the sails blow out or mast falls down, THEN the fuel line blocks. Normally the latter would just be an embarassment or inconvenience.

Good luck with your viewing of the Gibsea. (y)
Thanks,as always,sage comments………only initial viewing tomorrow and locating a berth in a nearby marina……but at some momment I have to say errr.Yes or no

geem

Visit site
Buy a Gib'Sea. Remove one panel in the rear cabin, remove a panel from the transom, undo two bolts and the pipework and slide the fuel tank out. Simples.
Or a Trintella. Undo the ring of M10 nuts holding the 600mm access hatch in place and climb in 😅