Flat, matt, satin or gloss?

Gwylan

Visit site
Mature sailing boat seeks fashion advice. 1986 Westerly actually, lots of varnished wood about.

The cabin floor is looking tatty. Well not been really touched for over 10 years.

Removed the boards and took them home. Eventually decided to strip all the varnish, sand back a bit and start again.

Have applied 3 coats of varnish. Then read the can of course. It is a deep dull finished - my words and what it looks like.

Will it be too dull to live with or present an aura of genteel refinement?
Should I treat this as undercoat for a bit more gloss or go for the matt effect?

Homer J

Visit site
Im just doing mine and bought a tin of gloss Ronseal Diamond Hard for Floors - it was too shiny and probably slippy. I went over the boards with a few layers of satin and you couldn't now tell it apart from the ones that were all satin finished
Satin was the ideal compromise for me. And in contrast the reply before which is probably the more appropriate response I like to go sailing but I like the boat to look right
So I would put a satin coat over the top of your boards

Gwylan

Visit site
Sailing first, but no reason to not look nice and be practical.
Local regulations dictate that we do not sail away until after the 1st May.

Recovering from a wet winter in Scotland. The yard parked boats for some aesthetic reason without regard to wind and rain direction.
A carpet is part of the problem to start with.
Got water underneath and damaged the varnish.

Think I will stick with the deep dull and maybe lick over with satin if necessary. The hard work, stripping and sanding has been done.

doug748

Visit site
Below knee level the older boat can look a bit dour without gloss, above that and on large vertical bulkheads, I prefer matt or silk finish. The gloss seems to give things a bit of a lift.
As you say, give it a go and see how you feel, you can always gloss it up later.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Did my full interior this year ,sanded all down and used Blackfriars Satin, Satin for me as I want a little shine but not full in your face Gloss ,Bought a tin of matt by mistake and the back cabin is matt :( and you notice the difference, looks good but not shiny enough to say that I did all that hard work and people to praise ME;)
The boat needs to look the part on the First Sail makes you feel you deserve it after a winter in the UK.