Flares

Tradewinds

Visit site
Add attempted fraud to the charge sheet. Should up the anti dramatically.

I'm interested in the Belgian views on flares too as I'm heading that way in June - mine are well past their sell-by-date (but not the life raft). I don't think the Dutch will be bothered (unless provoked).

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'm interested in the Belgian views on flares too as I'm heading that way in June - mine are well past their sell-by-date (but not the life raft). I don't think the Dutch will be bothered (unless provoked).
Yes, do not provoke them. Things could flare up quite rapidly.
I have never been asked to show my flares (or any other part of my dress) in Belgium, or Holland. I have had run ins with Belgium customs loads of times & if flares were an issue , they would have jolly soon let me know
However, as forumites know, French customs seem to love me & have checked mine over the years. They actually seem very interested in liferaft dates, more so in fact..

Paulfireblade

Visit site
We used Dieppe as port of entry and marina only wanted to see our SSR certificate, nothing else. We walked to ferry terminal and they took, stamped and returned passports so quickly they really did not have time to confirm we had emailed an immigration form before departure. We had of course but hardly seems likely it was checked.

My understanding is, only France insist on flares and that is thee red handheld flares.

A crew member of mine arrived in Southampton to join a Skipper he had never sailed with to find him removing expiry from flare with acetone.

Didn’t give the crew member a huge amount of confidence.

johnalison

Visit site
Although accidents are rare, I think that it would be rash to set out across the Channel or N Sea without at least some flares that were in date. Personally, I think that carrying out of date flares in addition to current ones is a good idea, and something that we have often done. As far as I know, only the French are allergic to out of date flares, so the only answer is to either hide them or leave them at home if going that way.