flags again

G

is there a corect position for flags flown from cross trees ie what should go at the top then what next: if you have ex com, RNLI, curtesy flag, club flag, etc etc without upsetting anyone or do you use the Port side??? if so what goes to port?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
My understanding but I remain open to correction.

Starboard crosstrees : Only the National flag of the country you are visiting or possibly with a regional flag (eg Breton) flown UNDER the national. Nothing should be above it.

Port : national flag of owner if different from the boat's ensign and, under this, club burgees etc.

I will be interested to see if my understanding is correct.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
That's how I do it (Brit on Italian boat sailing in Croatia)!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

Robin

Visit site
The Club burgee is supposed to be at the masthead but starboard spreaders is accepted now there is so much clutter up top. If you belong to more than one club, then the burgee of the local one is on top, if both are local then the more senior (older) is on top. In foreign waters courtesy flag of local country takes precedence, perhaps with local regional flag below it (ie Britanny or Normandy flags). In our case we would then fly the club burgee below the regional flag, not 100% sure if that is correct but it seems to be the general consensus. Other flags like RNLI, Owners Associations etc take lower precedence again, though personally I don't like to see massive strings of flags so would be selective with what is up.

<hr width=100% size=1>

gjeffery

Visit site
Portsmouth Gunwharf have a number of ornamental flag staffs. I was interested last year, to see that each staff was flying a national flag immediately below their own house flag. Cleary wrong and at variance with their nautical pretention.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
conundrum...

no stays, no spreaders. where do i hang the flags?

options seem to be from a line part way up the mast (hidden from one side behind the wing) or from the ssb aerial. any suggestions?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
So John - bearing in mind they won't register your boat in France - do you keep a tricoleur permanently at the cross trees, as if you're the endless visitor?

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
Re: Gunwharf Quay

You should have reported them to QHM

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Hi John,

In fact most times when I was going out for day or week-end sails I "forgot". When I have the red ensign up and a port of registry in Toulon it consistently excites the curiosity of the "douane". Since I "forgot" I have never been checked. However recently when I went into an anchorage, a custom's boat followed me in and photographed the transom. Since then I have "remembered".

So theoretically yes I have the French flag at the cross-trees.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Varne850

Visit site
As I understand it from my time in the RN as a flag wagger. The superior position
on a single masted vessel is the masthead. However, because of the cluter
already mentioned, flags that were normally flown at the masthead were moved
to the next position of importance, the starboard crosstree. I agree that the
courtesy flag should be flown at the stbd crosstree alone, or on the rare occasion
when a local flag is flown inferior to it.i.e.Brittany. Other flags were then moved
to the next position of importance, the port crosstree.
With regard to the House flag, it is normal for this to be flown by merchant
ships in a superior position to a courtesy flag. There is even a picture of a yacht
flying one superior to a courtesy flag in Macmillan & Silk Cut Yachtman's Handbook
(page192) That being the case, a single mast with no yardarms or crosstrees would fly the House flag above a courtesy flag.
regards

<hr width=100% size=1>