Fixing flooring to speedboat - Which resin?

onemanorthree

Visit site
Hi,

I've taken up some rotting flooring on my Fletcher Arrowflight and am looking to refloor

I have marine ply for the bit I'm replacing and the plan in the join that to the already fibreglassed area.
So I'll cut out the rotten area, fit in the new wood, and then graft the lot with fibreglass and resin, blending into the old on.
Just look for advise on the kit I should use.

I'm planning on using
Fibreglass Chopped Strand Mat: Amazon.co.uk

Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin Kit & Hardener Amazon.co.uk

Fiberglass Roller: Amazon.co.uk

2024-04-02 140133.png

Thgouths?

dpb

Visit site
I have recently completly replaced all the woodwork on my project boat which is constructed in a similar way to yours.
As I removed the floor it became clear that water had got into the structure with most of the stringers and foam being water logged or rotted.
So I replaced the lot. I recommend that you make sure you don't leave any wet timber or foam in place.
Personally with yours I would probably remove the timber full width so you are bonding a b entirly new floor to the fiberglass hull.
The new floor wants to be screwed and resined onto the stringers also so if they are not sound you dont have a chance.
On mine I fixed a 40mm x 40mm batten to the top of the stringers which gave me something solid to screw and epoxy onto.
Your chosen mat is ok but I think you are looking at the wrong resin.
I used
CFS Fibreglass - Encore 30 GP Polyester Resin H13212 TAE 20kg - GRP Supplies
I 'painted' all the timber and ply with resin before use.
All screwed joints were resined with a single of layer of mat also between the pieces of wood being fixed.
I found videos by this chap to be particularly usefull:
and also this book:
Amazon.co.uk
though in the end my methods were a mixture from various sources.
Good luck

Boathook

Visit site
I wouldn't use the resin as it is a hobby one.
I would get the resin and grp mat from the same supplier so that they are compatible.
Over the years I have found that using a roller is best done using peel ply at the same time unless you want ot go through lots of solvent cleaner to keep the roller clean. Peel ply also gives a smoother finish but is mainly used with epoxy resin.

onemanorthree

Visit site
Thanks. I'll have a look through the vid and get back tomorow.
Only thing I'd say is that I'm not keeping this boat, I'm selling it as soon as I change the steering and floor.
So I'm looking to do it for low cost.