Fixed aerial for handheld VHF

pauldelaf

Visit site
Hi,

I have recently bought a Standard Horizon handheld VHF and am very pleased with it. I have read that their performance can be improved by connecting to a fixed masthead aerial. I'm thinking of installing a windex and wonder whether to go for the type that incorporates an aerial and connecting it up to the handheld. Has anybody tried this?

Any advice much appreciated.

Paul

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Using a masthead aerial improves handheld performance considerably. There is an argument that in the event of losing your mast you would benefit from having an emergency aerial that was not cattached to it. You can buy emergency aerials that can be attached temporarily to any convenient high point, or you could install a rubber duck type aerial on a stern pole, arch or similar

rob2

Visit site
Yes, I put a BNC connector on the aerial feeder and then used an adapter to connect to the fixed VHF set (its usual position). So if required for the handheld, the adapter was left on the fixed set.

It just about doubles the range of the handheld, although it then runs out of puff, being only 5W output compared with 25W for a standard fixed set.

As the adapter is already available, the emergency aerial can also have a BNC connector and therefore serve either radio.

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
Yes indeed, a good plan, especially if you have a 500 or 370 which will take a hand mic.

The antenna adapter is a just a few quid and will make both recieve and transmit better when connected to a good mast top ant.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like one.

Visit site
I think that it\'s far more likely...

... that your fixed VHF or it's power supply will pack up before you get dismasted so if you keep an adapter lead onboard - BNC to PL259 you are more likely to resolve a problem since the HH has it's own independent power supply.

That doesn't mean that I don't carry a proper emergency antenna though.

Steve Cronin