Fitting a temperature gauge to a Volvo MD2020

Ric

There seem to be a lot of threads about overheating MD2020's recently (mine included!).

To remove some of the guesswork, I would like to install a temp gauge. Presumably Volvo make an aftermarket kit? Does anybody know approximately how much they are to save me the wasted of time of visiting the local Volvo dealer (they never answer the phone and Volvo do not yet seem to have entered the internet age for spare parts distribution).

Plevier

alan

I can't answer your question but I fitted one to my Yanmar 3YM30. I bought a VDO gauge and sensor. I wanted to keep the alarm as well as the gauge, so I bought a sensor with two contacts, one for the alarm and one for the gauge.
Now to the point of my post: you may need an adaptor (different threads) to enable the sensor to be fitted to the engine - you can get these from car parts suppliers in brass IIRC for a couple of pounds.

Alan.

Plevier

On the MD2020 the alarm sensor is by the pump, the temp sensor goes in the side of the heat exchanger, completely separate items physically and electrically.

jonrarit

even easier than the above post ....get your self one of these

Tape the sender to the cylnder head and hey presto a temp guage for under £2

I've upgraded these days to one of these and can now monitor (and set alarms) on both engine and exhaust temps :)

jr

Last edited:

Ric

jonrait - you haven't connected the link!

Plevier - your suggestion is the way I will go.

Ruffles

If you have an overheating problem, had an overheating problem or think you might have an overheating problem then you could buy a hand held IR thermometer. It also helps you pinpoint problems. It gives you very repeatable readings. Sometimes the doubt is worse that the actual problem.

That's what I did anyway. It doesn't need fitting. And it's useful for cooking too!

Plevier

That digital one looks an amazing deal. You could tape/glue the sensor to the side of the heat exchanger with a bit of insulation over it, should be OK.
Saves the thread adapter that costs more than the gauge!!