Fishfinder problems

G

I installed a Garmin 160 fishfinder beginning of 2000 season whch worked fine all year. Since launch this year, it intemittently flashes and doesn't come up with the ground display, I assume because of poor signal. I've fiddled with the gain without any success. Anyone any thoughts? When we launched we laid on soft mud and I wondered if any might have stuck and weakened the signal, however I would have thought it had washed off by now...

G

You talk about laying on mud preumably you have not antifouled the boat this season. If you did make sure that none of the antifoul got onto the transponder (if it goes through the hull). If it does not go through the hull. Just re-install itand make sure there is no "air" trapped under the transponder.

Might be a good idea to take it back and complain otherwise!

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Have you listened to the transducer recently? It should give out a very faint clicking noise. It is difficult to hear it, but a good one should be able to be heard.

I had a faulty transducer on my old Fuso fishfinder a while back, and although it could be heard clicking, there was no signal on the display. The cure then was a new transducer.

I now also have a new Navman echo sounder, and that is ever so quiet in its clicking - but works well.

So first things first, listen to it. If it is clicking, it may well require replacing.

regards,
Philip

G

Thanks everyone. I think I'll scrub the hull, then re-install the transducer - the air underneath sounds a possible (It is not thru hull, and it does work fine- every few minutes, for a minute or so)
Thanks again!!

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
That's a deeper problem - maybe not gettting any output from the display unit or a broken cable. It is usually only a co-ax cable. It should click, but if not, something is wrong between transducer and display.

Sometimes they do click with no display. This could then be a fault with the piezzo unit. So a new transducer.

regards,
Philip