Fishfinder or Depth Sounder

Stemar

Visit site
I need to replace my depth sounder - it's a cheap NASA one, and it sometimes tells me the right(ish) depth, sometimes random numbers, especially when I really need it.

I've seen fish finders for less than the price of a decent depth sounder. They give a profile of the bottom as well as the actual depth, an idea of the bottom - and might even help me catch the odd mackerel.

So what’s the catch?

I potter around the Solent and like to explore creeks once I get a decent sounder.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Lowrance X51, best bit of kit I have on board!

Honestly!

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com
Have both, but if pushed to choose one only, it would be a Fishfinder.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.begleys.com/weather.htm>Useful links for Irish waters.</A>

Becky

Visit site
I have just fitted a Navman depth thing, which wasn't too expensive. I suspect that you get what you pay for. But we bought the full Navman set as I had the wind speed on my last boat and that was good.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tarbolton

Visit site
definately recommend fish finder to replace echo sounder, have been able to see wrecks and other debris on the sea bed using mine plus I now know where all the fish are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
I have both but now hardly ever turn on the depth sounder, the fishfinder is a brill bit of kit have a look on the fishfinder section MATRIX 10 <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mesltd.co.uk/Products/system/index.htm>Here</A> (peed off now cause its cheaper than when I got it)

I tell you what I will sell you my old one for £150 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Seriously its a great tool and where I am moored its a life saver
GFI have fun

poter

<hr width=100% size=1>

whisper

Visit site
Agreed, Fishfinder every time. With the correct transducer you can even get a log feature which is a good back-up for one's GPS. I've had Humminbird, Garmin & Eagle models. All have been fine.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
Why bother with the old fashioned depth sounder - it tells you nothing except how deep the water is! Fishfinders give you so much more information, depth trends, the state of the bottom, and with a little practice it is possible to determine whether its possible and safe to anchor. In a bilge keeler its virtually essential before beaching to get a clear picture of what you will be landing on! Mine even tells me whether its warm enough for a swim! The 3d versions are even better giving a clear rolling map of the surrounding seabed.

And they even help you find fish!

<hr width=100% size=1>

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
As someone has already mentioned Navman, have a look at the Navman "Fish 4380" full colour fish finder. With this model, you can have speed and temp as standard. There are two alternative transducers, transom or through hull.

I am getting a through hull 4380 to replace two knackered Seafarer instruments - a rotating echo sounder and a old log with no impeller.

As I have a motor sailer, I will get a repeater to disply anything in the cockpit from the instruments at the inside steering position - Navman plotter and fish finder.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards,
Philip

aitchw

Visit site
I have chosen a small Garmin 100 Fishfinder for my 16', 2 berth, bilge keeled trailer/ sailer. I don't have much money. After a lot of reading up I couldn't see any benefit from a normal depth sounder. The idea of of having info on the state of the bottom appears essential for me as I don't have a lot of experience to bring to bear when anchoring or deciding where I can allow her dry out.

A further benefit for me is the 'entertainment' factor. I am trying to win my 13 yr old son over to some sort of sailing. So, having him trying to spot interesting features (wrecks for instance) and good places to fish may help him enjoy things more.

It's a reflief that posts from the experienced support the choice in general terms.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
I have just received a letter from Lowrance about a query of mine for a sun cover for my X51 and they sent me to a USA site who stocks 3rd party covers, about £6.00 each too.

Anyway, I had a nosey around the site and was blown away by the prices of the fishfinders on the other side of the pond. The Fish Easy 2 which is a re-badged Lowrance X51 is $129.00 which is today £71.68. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml;jsessionid=JV4MSFQBN1OKICWQNVCSCOIK0BWUMIWE?id=0023564&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat21392&parentId=cat21392&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276> Here </A>

The X51 at MES is £152.69. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mesltd.co.uk/Products/pages/products/ZLOW110-27.shtm> Here </A>

Annoyed, just a little bit.......

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

Stemar

Visit site
Thanks to every one. It looks like it's going to be a fish finder, then.

It does seem as though there's money to be saved by buying in the US. Presumably I'll need to add P&P and VAT. Will there be any other duty to be paid?

Also what about warranty issues? A US warranty isn't much help here!

<hr width=100% size=1>

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
If you buy it direct from a USA supplier, you may well have to pay import duty, handling (by the carrier) and probably VAT.

As for the Navman instruments, the Kiwi company, which was Talon Technologies, is now owned by a USA company, who, I believe also own Plastimo, the UK agent/importer for Navman. I could be wrong about Plastimo, but the Navman Kiwi site does name their USA owner.

If Plastimo is in the same company, they could be the UK repair agent under guarantee. Guarantee repair cost should be recoverable by the repairer from the manufacturer.

I hope this is the case, as I have just bought the 5500 Plotter from Starmarinedepot.com.

Previous recent purchases from West Marine, have included a returns note and slip for returning defective equipment. This was for boating gear that was advertised on a UK chandlers site, but who could not be bothered to reply to my email. I then bought from West Marine - it was about the same cost, but I have got what I wanted. Quicker than an order from a UK chandler for other items.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards,
Philip