First weekend on new boat

Chas25

Visit site
Could almost have been a perfect weekend.. sunny most of the time, light winds and warm enough if you wrapped up :)

Sadly though it wasn't blasting around the Solent at 40knts I was stationary on the driveway carving holes in the dash for new nav gear and trying to persuade the VHF ariel that it wanted to work its way down the A-Frame and through the bilge to the centre console!

Day 1 I would consider a great success, ably assisted by Whitelighter both plotter and VHF both ended the day neatly flush fitted, the plotter fully functioning with the VHF happy just to power up!

Day 2 was a mixed bag, I completely failed to persuade the Navman to send a position to the Icom VHF, neither manual is desperately helpful so for now that’s been filed as a job to look into!

The second challenge was to send the VHF antenna ariel from the A-frame to the centre console.. so 3 hours, several cuts and a lot of swearing later I find my 5m cable its half a meter to short :( hoping I can get away with a short extension rather than change the entire cable!!?

Still only a few more weeks and I'm sure I'll forget all the hassle and the cuts will have healed :D:D

Whitelighter

Visit site
Yeah metre extension should be fine mate, just so long as we make sure the connections are done properly (remember I said I found I always needed more of the bloody things :)) - I had the same problem when doing the Bavaria, had a 10m cable, need a 10.5m cable lol.

As for the NMEA, next time Im over if you haven already fixed it I'm sure we can sort it (or ask Rick on Wednesday as he's a whiz with these things).

Oh and PL have extended my membership until the end of June so thats an extra 3 months to use the points up.

P.S glad you didn't take the opportunity to get a pic of me wedged upside down under your dash...

AndieMac

Visit site
Don't you hate the cuts and glass fibre piercings on the back of your hands and fingers that keep on stinging for the next week or so.

Do you have any more pics of the RIB?

BartW

www.amptec.be
Don't you hate the cuts and glass fibre piercings on the back of your hands and fingers that keep on stinging for the next week or so.

no mentioning about itsches,
each time I drill a hole or something in GRP ,
I can feel itsch,
its so irritating, isn't it ?

AndieMac

Visit site
no mentioning about itsches,
each time I drill a hole or something in GRP ,
I can feel itsch,
its so irritating, isn't it ?

Imagine having to install those fibreglass insulation bats in the ceiling space for a living :eek:

It never seems to feel quite right drilling a hole in a boat.