First visit

nonitoo

Visit site
If this has been done to death before please redirect me.

We intend visiting the non-tidal Thames in the autumn and I am curious as to what documentation the EA will require of me (as well as a fee, of course).

Our boat is new (April 2007) and has a holding tank and closeable over board discharge.

I have had a look at their web site and have ensured that the name is on both bows - anything else I should be thinking about ?

Thanks

Tom

landlockedpirate

Visit site
If you are just visiting they are vey relaxed about the BSS. From memory you just sign to say your boat is safe and that you wont discharge anything into the water. You dont even need to have your name on the boat, since the temporary numbers they issue you with serve as the boats identifier.

Costs are on a pdf on the Thames website (sorry cant remember the link, but I am sure someone will)

Mark

oldgit

Visit site
Have done the trip a few times,apart from turning up at Teddington and paying your money,thats about it.
They never mentioned my sea toilet or insurance ,but we did however take along a porta potti to be on the safe side.
Only thing to try and achieve is to time the journey to arrive at Richmond barrier just after the barrier has been lowered.Have only had to use the lock once and it is a very muddy affair.Have done Rochester to Teddington in a day but it is nice to break the journey perhaps at St Kats.
Looking at your profile you will be no doubt be very aware that it can be a bit lumpy up Sea reach sometimes..

nonitoo

Visit site
Thanks Oldgit, coming up the estuary I plan to use the 5 Fathom Channel (across the flats), cross the Medway Channel around 5/6 buoys and use the Swatchway instead, staying on the south side of the Mid Blyth buoy and only returning to the correct side of the channel between Muckings 1 and 3.

Dover to St Kats 5 hours (ish) and another couple of hours to Teddington in good weather.

oldgit

Visit site
"I think you mean lifted. "

O b*gg*r,wrong again,now I know why nobody should any notice of my posts.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oldgit

Visit site
In the long dull bit twixt Southend and Gravesend,you can pass the time keeping an eye out for the dolphin or two which have taken up residence in the area.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In the long dull bit twixt Southend and Gravesend,you can pass the time keeping an eye out for the dolphin or two which have taken up residence in the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

May se some seals as well, there were some around Mid Blyth last year.

nonitoo

Visit site
Thanks all, I look forward to my first (self-funded) river transit.

BTW I think the canvey dolphin has been around for a couple of years and the seals are much more prevalent now - there is quite a colony on the Margate Sands.

All a far cry from my early years on the river in the early sixties when there was nothing around at all and an inadvertant fall into the water in the Royals resulted in three days in hospital plus a stomach pump !!