First Meltemi of the Season and Hot!

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
Hi Guys
This year, we upped sticks and moved from the Cyclades to the Saronic in the hope that their would be less hiding away from the Meltemi. Changed yards too! Was told that it doesn't 'blow home' in the Saronic, (whatever that means). Guess what - we're quietly (26 knot gusts) anchored in Navy Bay in Poros hiding from the Meltemi for the next few days! This morning it would be fair to say that there was havoc at the Poros north quay. It's dodgy there at the best of times with the ferry swell attempting to put you on land and now worse with the pontoon being out of action. This morning was a chaotic picture of a smashed utility column spurting water, various damaged ladders and passerells, yachts on the quay with dragging anchors and engines running, everybody trying to get off, crossed chains and blowing a hooly. Can't really call it entertainment.
Ah, well. So no change. My sympathy goes to all those chartering a boat or on flotilla this week cos going north will be crap!
And the heat! Now 34 deg and humid. Unseasonably early? We can cope, but friends of ours are going home early because they can't.
Nuff moaning. Rather be here than in UK. Off to the local hotel swimming pool for a fresh water swim and an ouzo.
What are you doing in the Meltemi this week?
Pete

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I left Poros a few days ago when I saw strong North winds .Am now on the South side of Ermioni where the gusts are blowing over the top of us ,there are quite a lot on the North side experiencing strong gust problems .
It is blinking hot though. ...And I think the internet from the taverns is blowing away it's that slow ....

truscott

Visit site
North side of Ermioni. Rolly anchorage. Had a gust of 31 come through in the afternoon but it quietened down towards the evening. Been lovely around here until now.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Unlike you guys our problem is the Bora here on Croatia , so far no signs of one although we had a few thunder Stroms with winds of over 35 kts but the last two nights of been flat claim . And hot .

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Hi Guys
This year, we upped sticks and moved from the Cyclades to the Saronic in the hope that their would be less hiding away from the Meltemi. Changed yards too! Was told that it doesn't 'blow home' in the Saronic, (whatever that means). Guess what - we're quietly (26 knot gusts) anchored in Navy Bay in Poros hiding from the Meltemi for the next few days! This morning it would be fair to say that there was havoc at the Poros north quay. It's dodgy there at the best of times with the ferry swell attempting to put you on land and now worse with the pontoon being out of action. This morning was a chaotic picture of a smashed utility column spurting water, various damaged ladders and passerells, yachts on the quay with dragging anchors and engines running, everybody trying to get off, crossed chains and blowing a hooly. Can't really call it entertainment.
What are you doing in the Meltemi this week?
Pete

You should come down the other end of the bay, much calmer, enough wind to keep us cool but nothing like you're experiencing a couple of miles from us!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
North side of Ermioni. Rolly anchorage. Had a gust of 31 come through in the afternoon but it quietened down towards the evening. Been lovely around here until now.

Hi Paul, thread drift incoming! A couple of years ago there was an announcement that a new marina for superyachts was going to be constructed where you are, occupying the anchorage and shallower parts of the current fishing boat harbour. Any sign that anything has happened? Vyv

charles_reed

Visit site
Still anchored in Sigri.

Went to get fuel and cash yesterday on a scooter.

Coming back from Eryssos, nearly got blown over a couple of times and was hit by a sandstorm.

Very hot here, but only when the wind in the NE - cooler when it goes back to the N.

No, the bits haven't yet arrived, making meincreasingly contemptuous of UPS.

Nothing to compare with the 39 knots experienced the evening of June 13th from the S.

Last edited:

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
You should come down the other end of the bay, much calmer, enough wind to keep us cool but nothing like you're experiencing a couple of miles from us!

Hi Steph
It's fine here, easy to go walking, shopping etc but getting bored. Going to poke the nose out tomorrow pm with aim to do the huge trip to Methana. If the seas are crap we'll come back to your neck of the woods. Can you get a good ouzo where you are?
Pete

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
Hi Paul, thread drift incoming! A couple of years ago there was an announcement that a new marina for superyachts was going to be constructed where you are, occupying the anchorage and shallower parts of the current fishing boat harbour. Any sign that anything has happened? Vyv
Hi Vyv. I've been told a couple of weeks back by a local Ermioni expat that the marina is on permanent hold due to a lack of funding.
Pete

truscott

Visit site

Hi Vyv,

Gypsyjoss seems to have been given the goss and there certainly is no sign of any new marina for Super Yachts or of any sort. Can't say that I am a fan of the North side. Should have left before the wind set in! It can't make up it's mind whether it is comin from the North, West or East! Meanwhile the swell works it's way in regardless! The superyachts are welcome to the place. I won't be coming back. (I will say that the town and the people in the town have been nothing but friendly and the food has been superb. So this is not a slight on the town, just the anchorage!).

PT

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Hi Steph
It's fine here, easy to go walking, shopping etc but getting bored. Going to poke the nose out tomorrow pm with aim to do the huge trip to Methana. If the seas are crap we'll come back to your neck of the woods. Can you get a good ouzo where you are?
Pete

I think we've got a mini bottle of ouzo on board somewhere!

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
Hi Vyv,

Can't say that I am a fan of the North side. I won't be coming back. (I will say that the town and the people in the town have been nothing but friendly and the food has been superb. So this is not a slight on the town, just the anchorage!).

PT
Hi PT. Were you on the east or west side of the hammerhead. We found it swelly in settled weather on the east side, especially when the ferries came in and moved to the west side when space became available. It was lovely there but no doubt not with the Meltemi? It's best to anchor off if there's no room available inside. Problem is there's only room for about 7 boats inside (3 permanent boats) and difficult fo anything longer than 40 feet. So don't write it off altogether.
Pete