Finger pontoons.

capnsensible

Visit site
Need to retrieve the spring line quite often. Also it's a big help for someone to be on the finger when putting the cockpit cover on which covers the boat from the windscreen to the engine. I'm cool with all that having taken the boat out shedloads and only got my feet wet twice. :)

I remember well the ones in St Vasst and one or two other French marinas. Quite sporting on windy days.

capnsensible

Visit site
Well if everybody used splice loops on the ends of their mooring ropes ………………….. no I won’t go there :cool:
Good one.

You can't quite see but our bow docklines are secured to the upright of one leg of the cleat with a round turn and two half hitches. Like wot I was taught. I was taught how to do eyesplices too......

johnalison

Visit site
Those fingers are quite common in the Baltic and they make the best use of the space. Since everyone there boards and deboards from the bow nobody gets wet in the process and it is left to English visitors and Jesus to attempt to walk on them. Another version is alternating skinny and normal fingers for single occupancy, which also works fine.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I think marinas should quote their finger "bouncyness" values. Zero being none with 10 being completely submerged and likely to be catapulted back on the boat.

Always interesting when jumping off your boat in a newly visited marina.