Fined for hitting breakwater

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Futher to the recent posts regarding passage plans etc.
There is an interesting article in the new YM regarding a 50' motor boat which struck Portland Breakwater.
The captain was fined £1500 for failing to keep a lookout... but more interesting was the fine of £1000 for offences relating to inadequate saftey equipment.

It states that the MCA require all yachts OVER 45' to be fitted with approved life-saving and fire fighting equipment.

No mention was made about a passage plan and does that mean that any yacht under 45' does not have to comply with the MCA regs?

just curious.

poter

hlb

RIP
Visit site
No, you still seemingly need to have a passage plan although what this consists of is anyones guess. Likely outcome is, whatever sort of accident you get into, you obviously did not have the right plan to avoid it. Therefore guilty.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

Trevethan

Visit site
"Yes Your Honour, my passage plan. Here it is.. I worked it out the day before the incident in question. Leave harbour with tide at 07.30. Nip below to fry bacon for sandwich at 8.00, plough into breakwater at 8.05. At 8.07 send out distress message and send up a flare. 9.15 return to harbour courtesy harbour master's launch to be met by members of local constabularly with breathakyzer. So yes your honour of course I had a passage plan and stuck to it."