Fin keel boat stabilty on my mooring?

Markrandles

Visit site
Hi,
I posted a subject recently about a fin keel boat on a shallow mooring. Does anyone know how they sit if the keel in on the ground but there is water up to the lower hull section around the bilges.. Would this prevent the boat from leaning to far over. I am guessing that the water will still offer some support.
Regards.
Mark

johnalison

Visit site
It depends where you keep the boat. Round here fin-keelers sometimes dry out moored fore & aft in mud over shingle. It's critical to have sufficient mud over the shingle, but only to avoid a very dirty boat. A modern boat should right itself from almost any angle without flooding.

FAITIRA

Visit site
Make sure any vunerable seacocks are shut, i.e., sinks, shower, bilge pumps, toilet etc, they could back flood if she does lie right over.

Markrandles

Visit site
Thanks all.... I was hoping that she might not fall over due to the water that is around the lower hull area. The ground is softish sand so I cannot rely on the keel sinking more that 3 inches into it.

smth448

Visit site
One thing I would watch out for if you are on sand is that it is hard so the boat will take a pounding if it is at all rough. I used to keep a drop keel Pandora at Whitstable many years ago and it really suffered.

graham

Visit site
You could get away with it if the mooring is very sheltered and doesnt get any swell or motorboat wash . The first problem will occur just as the keel touches the sand,being lifted and droppped by boat wash or swell now will cause her to pound incredibly hard on the bottom.you have to experience it to realize how violent this can be even with very small waves.The whiplash effect can cause damage to the rigging.

As soon as the level drops below the normal waterline she will start to lean.Being in a couple of feet of water could allow her to be picked up by swell or wash then dropped down hard on the bilge.This will at best rub away the antifoul and gelcoat (presuming shes GRP) at worst it could cause structural damage.

Personally I wouldnt keep a finkeel boat on a mooring like that, mud is fine ,it was invented for the purpose but sand is a different proposition.

yoda

Visit site
It's quite normal where I am on the river for this to happen on some spring tides. Depending on the nature of the keel and the amount you dry out then you may heel over some way which could make staying onboard a little incomfortable. I dry out by about 4-6 inches and stay upright but another 6 inches would see me starting to heel over. Also consider how sheltered the mooring is otherwise you could find the boat pounding on the bottom if any sork of sea is running.

Yoda