Feedback from PLA Meeting

Coastgal

www.sailblogs.com
An interesting ( /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) meeting, with lots of different parties interested in the River. Apparently the largest meeting they had to date (probably down to the tree lovers)

Main issues:
- Recent tree cutting along Richmond to Putney embankment and plans for replantings and repairs to revetments (major attendance from objectors/locals re: PLAs unapproved tree cutting exercise)
- Speed restrictions: still in consultation, but likely to stay at 12kts below Wandswth Br until clear of all bridges, where it becomes safer to increase speed where appropriate
- Someone mentioned the intro of the new PLA group "Recreational User Group". Apparently set up so River users (mobos, rowers, etc) could meet with Harbourmaster to discuss issues. No more info on this.
- Concern over lack of moorings. However, new moorings going in at Oyster Wharf.
- PLA happy to look at proposals for new pontoons but are not keen to do any dredging (not seen as a long-term solution on tidal Thames...the stuff just drifts back again or causes prob's somewhere else).
- PLA will resuface/repair draw docks at Twickenham and some other one near Chiswick.
- PLA keen to encourage access to River, but no budget to fund.
- PLA keen to improve Mobo's understanding of Rowing Code on tidal Thames. Mobo's should pick up leaflets at Richmond, Teddington or Brntfd Locks.

Targa: answers to your spec questions...
1. Plans ARE going ahead for historic moorings at Hermitage Wf, but there WILL be allowance for visitor moorings.
2. Burgen will NOT be moving.
3. Speed limits - covered above
4. Future PLA meetings - none planned, only when they think they're necessary.

I think that covers what was a long tedious evening. Quite a few promises from the PLA - we'll have to wait to see if they come to fruition.

Brayman

Visit site
Quote:
Main issues:
- Recent tree cutting along Richmond to Putney embankment and plans for replantings and repairs to revetments (major attendance from objectors/locals re: PLAs unapproved tree cutting exercise)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Just been covered on BBC news, "celebrity" residents complaining about tree cutting, eg Imogen Stubbs and someone else who's name I can't remember.

MiskinDriver

Visit site
The Recreational Users' Group web page is:

http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/display_fixedpage.cfm/id/2379/site/recreation#Introduction

Bears a look, not least because I can't quite see how the mobo interest is protected - except through some fairly remote organisations. As predicted elsewhere on this thread, three paddle/oar power members and three for the rest.

Next meeting 9 April, and papers for it are promised to be on the website.

Ramage

Visit site
Current Membership

* Amateur Rowing Association
* Association of Thames Yacht Clubs
* British Canoe Union
* Narrow Boat Owners Association
* Royal Yachting Association
* Thames Regional Rowing Council

That is two for the robos, one for the Canoeists, ATYC for MOBOs, RYA for MOBOs and Raggies, and the Narrowboaters (which most people would see as Mobo).

That is 3 for self propelled and 3 for powered. (Raggies are wind-powered!).

Seems reasonable to me!

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Yeah, that's what I said, three for robos/canoes and three for the rest. My real worry, I guess, is that - even as a member of RYA - I'm not sure how they really represent me. As I am not a member of any of the Thames Yacht Clubs, and don't have a narrowboat, then I feel underrepresented. Since I spend most of my boating time on the tidal river, then this is the nearest I've got to a User Group.

Maybe I'll have a word with RYA and ask how they determine that they are representing relevant members' views.

Ramage

Visit site
Yes, and I bet canoe jockeys feel under represented too, because they paddle in the direction they are looking!
And the poor Raggies are only represented by the RYA....

Do you not think that the ATYC (and possibly the Narrowboaters) in fact act in the general interest of Motorboaters?

Of course, you could join one of the groups that represent powered craft and then volunteer to sit on the committee.....

The reason lots of ROBOs are ARA members is that they have to be members in order to get a racing licence which they need to race.

RYA do sit on the RUGs on the Tidal and non-tidal Thames. Members can raise concerns with their rep.

Like so many things you have no voice as an individual, you have to be "part of the union" or whatever to be listened to.