Favourite yachting pubs

G

Which is the best yachting pub in Britain? Do you think we ought to hold a survey so that YM or PBO could carry the results?

My own favourites are The Ferry Boat Inn, North Fambridge, Essex ( great beer and food); The Shipwrights at Oare Creek, Kent, Butt and Oyster Pin Mill, Suffolk and the Harbour Inn at Southwold, Suffolk.

On the Broads my favourite is the White Horse, Neatishead ( ditto great beer and food and run by two ace Broads yachties), closely followed by the Upton White Horse (aka Winkle's pub), and The Pleasure Boat Inn Hickling.

Col

Visit site
I bet someone mentions the Folly inn, Dammit! just mentioned it.
What's that place, top of the cobbled street on left, at Lymington called?Nice food, hard to get in to.
Also back street in Yarmouth (IOW) -King Edward????

BarryH

Visit site
THE FOLLY INN wheres that, I wonder, went there a few times only for the showers tho. Kings arms Weymouth is good, good beer, excellent food, The Helmsman poole used to be good till they changed it into The Slurpin' Toad or something, Now I go down to Portsmouth Hoy further down the quay. End of the day pint in The Quay in wareham is nice if you can get up the frome.

Gonna have to stop sounds like I'm an alchy.

G

Roger

I agree. Favourites ought to be listed in accordance with YM's news areas.

Right ,lets get cracking and let the mag staff sort them out.

All those in favour?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Broadreach on Mon Feb 4 00:07:18 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

I forgot to mention that anyone taking part in this very serious survey ought to explain why a pub is singled out for high praise, what beer they serve, quality and quantity of the nosh etc. etc.

Perhaps we also ought to include bars and restaurants in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Baltic, whole world etc.

Let battle commence!

claymore

Visit site
Re: a shame this is cross-posted and split..

Actually,I found it interesting in the way in which the responses differ - It left me wondering about the way in which the sailing areas of the members of the two forums must differ and whether that was a reflection of the kind of boats that the respective members might have.
Perhaps I'm being a bit too academic!
regards
js

davel

Visit site
As a Solent loafer, I rate the following (in no particular order)
The Chequers @ Lymington. Always manage to get a table, food is excellent, beer is good, locals very attractive!
The Kings Head @ Lymington. Good if you can get in (which is difficult).
The Folly @ Medina River. Well known so no needto say more.
Most pubs @ Yarmouth.

Dave L.

G

Victoria - Tarbet, Loch Fyne
Great food, reasonable prices, good music at the weekends, not too far from the pontoons, nice people. Only down side is when it gets busy and you need to queue for a table -- oh well, have another drink!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ah. The victoria in Tarbot. But also the one in Crinan. The Lobster pot in Strangford. The King of Prushia in Fowey The Boringdon arms and New Inn in Turnchaple. ( Plymouth)
The Pandora in Falmouth. Oh and that one in Tobermory Mull.
Loads more but cat remember there names

Haydn

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
How about that nice pub at the top of Shalfleet Creek Newtown IOW. Nice paddle in the Rubber Duck, nice half mile stroll, good beer.... Just make sure you get the tides right or it can be long slog back thro the mud

Boathook

Visit site
No has mentioned the Bankes Arms at Studland, good beer & food seems ok. Row ashore, walk uphill and then it's easy back down! The rowing is still a pain though.
The pub in the back street at Yarmouth is possibly the Wheatsheaf, good food and beer.