Faulty Calor bottle

DanTribe

Visit site
I went to change my 4.5kg Calor blue bottle but could only get about 2 or 3 threads on before it seized up. Regulator still very loose.
And all before my morning coffee!
My local distributor kindly spoke to Calor who said to return the bottle to them and THEY would decide if it was faulty. If they decide not faulty I would lose all, gas & bottle. I would have no comeback.
Not sure I like that, are they trustworthy?

wallacebob

Visit site
Surely retailer is responsible? They can easily try a regulator and see if it fits or not, then change bottle if needed. I understand you only “rent” bottle, but the retailer is selling the gas content. Sale of Goods Act.

B27

Visit site
Surely if there's no fault with the bottle, the OP just needs a new regulator or something?

If there is a fault, either he was supplied a duff bottle, or the OP has damaged Mr Calor's bottle.

If the thread was that bad at the depot, how did Calor fill the bottle?

DanTribe

Visit site
Crossed thread? Don't think so. Not my first rodeo changing bottles and it went on a few threads.
Retailer responsible? Can't remember where I bought it, probably 100 mile trip away.
I will try the regulator on a spare cylinder, good idea.
What rankles is that Calor will be sole arbiter of whether I win or lose.

B27

Visit site
Someone dodgier than me would just vent the bottle to empty and exchange it for a good one.
After checking the bottle was the problem not whatever you're screwing on to it.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Last year there was a recall from Calor on the 4.5kg bottle which leaked, mine did leak so sent an email to Calor who replied within 10 minutes!! They said take it a local dealer at Framlingham who replaced it without question, and also replaced an empty cylinder which I had. It was the on/off tap which leaked when turned on.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
When I had a Camping Gaz bottle that didn't work I left it with the retailer for a couple of days - I guess he tested it on his BBQ or something, and then he refunded me when I went back.

Momac

Visit site
The campingaz 907 refill we had in May this year produced gas that would not ignite. I vented some gas off and it was okay after that.
Overfilled I suspect.
Campingaz are refilled by Calor in the UK.
Considering its almost £49.99 per refill for 2.7kg of gas you would think the quality assurance would be to a high standard.

lustyd

Visit site
Someone dodgier than me would just vent the bottle to empty and exchange it for a good one.
After checking the bottle was the problem not whatever you're screwing on to it.
You don’t have to empty it to swap it.

rotrax

Visit site
Campingaz are refilled by Calor in the UK.
Considering its almost £49.99 per refill for 2.7kg of gas you would think the quality assurance would be to a high standard.

You would indeed think that with the immense profit on the gas cost there would be enough in the huge margin to ensure satisfactory quality.

I am more than happy filling my own.

Apart from not being able to replace the cylinder or valve with new ones, I can ensure it is not overfilled and is leak proof.

Works for me, and a 3.9 Propane currently costs me £12.50 per fill. I expect this to reduce as I recently aquired a19 kilo donor cylinder.

iamtjc

Visit site
From their promotional video it looks like most of the work is in cleaning up and repainting the cylinder rather than just filling it. Do you know for sure that Calor are tooled up for that in the uk?

Momac

Visit site
You would indeed think that with the immense profit on the gas cost there would be enough in the huge margin to ensure satisfactory quality.

I am more than happy filling my own.

Apart from not being able to replace the cylinder or valve with new ones, I can ensure it is not overfilled and is leak proof.

Works for me, and a 3.9 Propane currently costs me £12.50 per fill. I expect this to reduce as I recently aquired a19 kilo donor cylinder.
Do you use Propane in a 907 cylinder and a Campingaz regulator all with no issues?