Fastnet

LeonF

Visit site
Spent a Christmas gift voucher on Rousmaniere's account of the Fastnet that went horribly wrong. Have read snippets about it over the years but never a full account. I cannot recommend it more...a gripping read, painfully moving, and a real reminder of the havoc the sea can wreak.

Ships_Cat

Visit site
I agree. Is well worth reading.

Is many years since I have done so myself though and don't own a copy anymore - have been tempted to buy another.

Some of the things from the Fastnet are advanced on in Marchaj's "Seaworthiness, The Forgotten Factor" - bit expensive to buy for a casual read and more technical (not very so and easy to read) but worth a glance through too if have access to a copy.

John

beancounter

Visit site
Re: Fastnet - and others

On a related topic, Rob Mundle's book "Fatal Storm", about the ill-fated 1998 Sydney - Hobart race is also an excellent, but chilling read.

Ironically, I read it whilst lazing on an Ionian Flotilla - about as far away from the terror of a "Southerly buster" as you can get.

guernseyman

Visit site
Rousmaniere's account of the Fastnet was the first account to discuss why the disaster was so bad and so patchy: Rousmaniere himself sailed through the thick of it unscathed. The previous three accounts I had come across all left me with unanswered questions.