Farrow System

Ronald_M

Visit site
Very good claims are made for this system - so good, in fact that I decided to get my keels done this way. Turns out, however, that my nearest franchisee no longer uses the specified volcanic ash as, apparently, there is a known cancer risk involved in its use. Apparently.

Ended up getting them slurry blasted instead.

HOWEVER, you might like to look at soda-blasting as an alternative. Similar principles, similar claims.

Look here: http://blastcleanuk.org/
or: http://www.soda-blast.co.uk/

Maybe a bit pricey, though.

Ron.

Elessar

Visit site
I called Paul to strip my boat and he tried to talk me out of it as I was going to apply Coppercoat when it was too cold. I took some persuading but he really didn't want to take my money if I was going to end up unhappy.

Thus I recommend him as honest and honourable even tough he hasn't done any work for me yet! I've seen boats he's done and I will call him in spring without hesitation.

pennycar9

Visit site
I have a wooden boat, It is a 50foot ex MFV. The first year we had her,we got Farrows in to blast clean the bottom back to the wood, they guaranteed to be able to achieve a clean bottom. The result was 80% clean, damage to surface of wood in many places but worse was the fact that it had blasted out at least 50% of the seam paying. They left the yard without clearing up, a total mess and a disaster. I would not reccomend the system on a wooden boat!.

Farrow system has shut down operations in this country and have moved to America. Apparently they lost a big Law suit with the MOD and The owner got divorced.

ccscott49

Visit site
I have seen it, but wouldnt reccomend it for a carvel seamed boat, as it will remove the stopping. Depends on the operator I guess. But would use it on my boat, as we are splined and cascover sheathed. Would the symblast work on mine?? I wonder.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Paul, Symblast, did our boat about 4 years ago, I believe he did Kevb's boat on the mobo site too.

He did a superb job, gave great advice and I also know the marina were very impressed how clean and tidy he left the place.

He gets my full recommendation.

I have no connection with Symblast etc etc

johnskross

Visit site
For the record, Farrow System Ltd. did win against the MOD, and the decision to close up and move operations to the US was an economic decision.

I can’t speak for Mr. Farrow’s divorce and feel it is not proper to discuss in any forum.

We are actively looking to restart our European business after winning a very long battle on patents.

If I can answer any more questions, please do not hesitate to call.