FAO Kim Hollamby

aod

Visit site
Kim:

Would you please be kind enough to look at the thread titled South Coast Pot Problems.

I believe there is sufficient concern amongst us to raise this issue with in the first instance the RYA and possibly even the MCA, Fisheries Authorities, Harbour authorities or whoever indeed has the power to affect change.

Most of the threads contain anecdotal accounts of lobster pot problems which when reinforced by evidence of a primary nature should be sufficient to warrant constructive attention.

I fully understand that the forums do not exist for political purposes but based on the strength of feeling, serious and genuine safety concerns would you consider, establishing a temporary forum purely inviting factual information about areas where lobster pots create real and serious navigational hazards.

The information gleaned would not only be useful to all forum members power and sail but could also form the basis of a petition to (in the first instance) the RYA.

If you have any guidance to offer, suggestions or comments I would and I am sure all forum users would be pleased to hear them.

I am happy to collate any information generated from such a forum and if authorised represent the forum in any letter writing.

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Richard Houghton

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
Re: Not just south coast

The problem of poorly marked pots ,nets longlines etc is allover Britain and Ireland.

Hard to see what can be done as the cost of enforcing any laws about minimum sizes of marking buoys flags etc will probably turn it into a paperwork exercise that achieves nothing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site

Like the pointless handgun ban, cost a bleedin' packet and just penalised the legit law abiding users. Made no difference to gun crime what so ever. Same will happen here. The law abiding fishing folk will always be given a bad name by the local yokle signing on and doing a bit of potting to get more cash and take away trade from the pukka potters.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

aod

Visit site

I fully accept that it isn't just the South Coast and it was never my intention to focus specificaly on the South Coast. The Thread was titled because I referenced to a cruise from Gosport to Falmouth and return.

In Plymouth the MOD Police hoover up those pots deemed to be a hazard so to say that it will just be a paper exercise is rather negative. One thing is certain if we do nothing, nothing will result. If we do something, something may happen.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
You\'re nicked, son.

If we left spiky things littered all over the roads to catch passing motorists that would be frowned upon and the authorities would be down on us like a ton of tarantulas.

So if someome else litters coastal waters with boat traps why shouldn't they also have their collars felt?

Goodness knows between them the fuzz*, harbourmasters, customs and excise* and now even the MCA have got enough launches zooming around looking for trouble. So why can't they avoid trouble by lifting badly marked and unwisely positioned pots?

BTW - why don't legit fishermen get stuck into the moonlighters, if that's what they are?

*Wouldn't even think you'd need a new law for Mr Plod and the C&E to lift pots. They could be 'searching for contraband'.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

ecudc

Visit site

yer but maybe they could put a clause in allowing legit removal of said pots plus confiscation of contents. That might raise a few bob or allow tasty supper for passing yacht. I would happily volunteer myself for such an onerous task.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site

Woe woe woe. Didn't say that It couldn't happen. Just pointing out the fact that it will be a friutless task. Do what I do. If the pot marker don't look legit. Lift the pot nick the lobby and the marker. Only if you get tangled on it though....honest. The gallon canisters come in handy for putting old engine oil in for disposal. Cut the line and let the pot go, in deep water. Might be wrong might be right.

I talk to a load of the potters round Poole. They say that legit potters will use the proper pot marks. The fisheries board do check on them and their markers. Normally while in port. They do remove non legit markers and lift the pots.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Robin

Visit site

The Fisheries people from Poole should try looking OUTSIDE the harbour then because non legit pots are the rule rather than the exception. Just take a straight line from No 3/No 1 buoy to North Head and you will hit the first lot half way to Christchurch Ledge, the main lot over the ledge itself and more on the entrance to North Channel. In the other direction they are off Old Harry, Anvil to St Albans.

Cut the line & let it go sounds easy, not anchored by the tail in 3 or 4 knots of tide and in a wind against tide sea it isn't.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I agree that something should be done but one must also remember the legitimate right of the fishermen to earn a living and they are going through tough times. When they are trying to earn this living they will naturally resent pleasure boaters telling them what to do. Therefore to get results one should also develop suggstions which take their concerns into account. More is achieved in a climate of concertation than in disputes.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenSails

Visit site
I am in full support of this and would offer assistance to any concerted campaign to make fishermen more considerate and accountable when it comes to the useless rubbish they call pot markers. I think if this publication or any other can help then great!

You have my support, well done!

Cheers

Stephen

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.yachtinguniverse.com

Heckler

Visit site
or be like the anglers

who parked their moboat dead in line between the downwind cans in the pwllheli regatta last week and watched the fleet aim thunder towards them not once but twice!
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Re: or be like the anglers

or the angling boats stopped just outside the entrance with no anchor ball, so I slowed, slowed more, until I could see the anchor warp and realised I could slide past.

Or the idiot who had full steaming lights on while anchoring at the entrance a couple of weeks ago, and this was a yacht so I hardly expected to see owner angling from her.

Grrrr. can they not see that it is an entrance and maybe people will be using it, thank god I don't have a metre of lead adding to my draft, I can cut it short if need be.

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/TC_minicruise_2003_01.html>Cardigan Bay Cruise</A>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Sorry for not responding earlier

I'm writing this blind, having not had a chance to read the other posts yet but I am currently serving on an RYA safety committee and am in a good position to feed comments into the system regarding common causes for safety problems.

Some time before the next meeting I'll take a good look at the posts and would also appreciate any other feedback from forum users; in fact have contemplated setting up a special forum for a period of weeks, to get general comments back on all safety related issues as my own personal feeling is that many accidents have primary and/or secondary causes other than straightforward incompetence on the part of owners/skipper/crew.

Comments here, or on PMs or on kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com very welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Sorry for not responding earlier

Well here's a fine how d'ye do. Half the raggies on the South Coast now permanently moored to Lobster Pots and Kim's been away feasting on (Rod) Carrs Water Biscuits and drinking his RYA House Coffee. No wonder the subs keep going up
Haarrummmppphhhh
(Shuffles off shaking head and mumbling about needing to make changes)

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif