Fancy an ex fishing boat?

fisherman

Visit site
I think she has an 8 cylinder Gardner. They will have sold or transferred the licence and track record, without which she is worthless for fishing. Don't know when she last worked, but not long ago I guess.

Strolls

Visit site
1940's video of her:

Photos taken this year by Chris Jones:

rYHKpVQ.jpg

uyqlHap.jpg

G24jDd0.jpg

zUehYYY.jpg

More on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=pz-513

Topcat47

Visit site
When i was a sailing sprog, there was an old ex fishing boat moored near us in Alderney, It had been fitted with a ketch rig and the deck house was extended. It made a nice looking motor sailer and the thing I remember most about it was the piano in the deck salon.

fisherman

Visit site
Of course her last skipper old 'basketcase' Setherington was a keen pianist so you might find his instrument still aboard.

Interesting film, no long lining whatsoever in Newlyn now. I made a living at it in the 70s. Note the size of the Monkfish at 2.15. never put your hand, foot, or indeed your arse as one bloke did, in that mouth.

D

Deleted member 36384

I think she has an 8 cylinder Gardner. They will have sold or transferred the licence and track record, without which she is worthless for fishing. Don't know when she last worked, but not long ago I guess.

She is a lovely looking vessel and if I was in the market for such a vessel I would want to keep her outwardly looking similar; they are getting rare now, the hulls with the canoe stern. In the 1980s and early 1990s on the Clyde there were plenty of them about, some maintained really well by their owners but the majority have been sawn up and burnt now. I do like the older style wheelhouse, in the video narrow and just for the skipper really or whomever was helming. Some of the ones on the Clyde had just a small wheelhouse that really only held one person with wide open decks all around it, that looked good, a big deck, small wheel house.

What do you mean by track record and why would that be commercially important to a buyer?

Last edited by a moderator:

fisherman

Visit site
What do you mean by track record and why would that be commercially important to a buyer?

The track record gives you the right to fish for a certain quantity of what you have been catching. It has a value and can be rented out, some armchair skippers ( maybe sold a boat to Ireland or abroad and retained the licence) make a living from it. Without a licence and track record you may not fish at all. My licence which entitles me to a small quantity of wet fish, subject to quota allocation, is about to be capped to remove that entitlement because I haven't used it, thus devaluing my boat by a few thousand or ten. I would have to buy that entitlement in future before I could fish for the relevant species. I could theoretically be buying part of the track record off the Excellent.

Wansworth

Visit site
The long liners out of La Corona always got more money for their catch than the draggers from Virgo without all that nets mending and scouring the sea bed and fish was in better condition.Or course we fished in colour...1984