Fambridge yacht haven

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Might be a possibility. I know it's a long way upriver, but does anyone have any views, experience, insights, recomendations? Anyone using their mooring + 'valet berthing'? What's it like ashore, nearby, etc etc. It seems quite low price....Any views will be of interest. I draw 5'8", long keel.

Thank you
Graham

FullCircle

Visit site
Artemis of this parish used the valet mooring for a season, and he was chuffed with the service.
They delivered the boat to the pontoon whenever he wanted it, and they allowed him to stay on the pontoon when he wanted to.
Apparently the guys are pretty helpful too.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I have another friend with a boat there. He likes it but he is only a day sailor. From the pontoon it is a long walk to the loos and dark at night. You are in the middle of nowhere almost, which is part of its attraction. The Ferry Boat Inn is nearby and has decent grub but there are no shops in the village.

There are clubhouse facilities etc for those in the marina.

Evadne

Visit site
I haven't been there in years, have they dredged it? (Actually, they must have, I've just worked out how many years and it was 1986! How time flies.) Evadne draws 4' 2" and they were worried about me grounding on the way in, halfway to HW neaps IIRC: at 5' 8" you'd have needed wheels! Otherwise I found it a lovely quiet spot, nice pub and although in the middle of nowhere it does have its own railway station. I'd be surprised if it has changed much since then.

AliM

Visit site
It's a long way out to sea from Fambridge. On the other hand, there's lots of sheltered river sailing for when the weather's nasty; although you can't go far up-river, you can explore miles of Crouch and Roach down river. We've sailed past Fambridge hundred of times, or stopped there on a buoy, anchor or at their pontoon, but haven't been into their marina except by car or on foot. It seemed a reasonable place to be. The pub is very good!

We find public transport access (in our case just one station further on, at Bridgemarsh) to be really invaluable - it means one of us can drive to the boat, and the other (or more crew) can arrive by train after work. I went straight to the boat from Beijing, once!