Fal and Dartmouth ideas please

Cornishman

Visit site
Before Meva is Gorran Haven anchorage. A walk up the hill to Gorran Village is The Wheatsheaf pub. Across St Austell Bay opposite to Mevagissey is another anchorage at Polkerris, sheltered from the North through East to about SSE. The Rashleigh Arms is on the beach.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Try to convince your mad wreckless father. That the area around Falmouth is probably the best in the country and it would be silly to leave there for umpteen hours at sea. Unly to arive some where different. Not better. Dependant on his likes/dislikes. The fal alone is a big enough river and estury to spend a week in. Mooring some where different each night. If an area between the Helford and Fowey were to be included. It would probably take a whole year to explore each nook and cranny. And all very worth while.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

B

bob_tyler

Haydn's suggestion of spending the week in and around the Fal area is very sound. Falmouth is the 3rd largest naturally dredged harbour in the world, after Rio & Sydney.

If you have 2/3 hours to spare, visit the spanking new National Maritime Museum Cornwall (open daily 10:00 to 17:00 and you can race sailing boats in there without getting wet!), a short walk from the visitor's pontoons off the town run by the Harbourmaster. Good pubs & plenty of restaurants there restaurants there too.

You can have a lovely time for a week in the Harbour, perhaps up to Truro, across to St Mawes and across the bay to the Helford (good pubs with St Austell Breweries HSD bitter).

Bob

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Hmm. We went to the museum on a wet day. To many people racing the yachts about. We did how ever go down the tower with the glass windows. You go down under the sea and look out the window. We did but it was low water springs. So all we saw was mud!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

B

bob_tyler

Haydn, perhaps you went during the early days before mid February. Admission was free then during the running in period. Agreed that it can get busy on wet days but not uncomfortably so and there is generally no queue for the sailing boats, or only a very small one.
Obviously cannot tell yet how busy it will be during the peak summer holiday period and with the opening of the Park & Float facility from Ponsharden.

There was a great talk there by Tom Cunliffe last Wednesday evening - absolutely hilarious.

In the near future, Libby Purves will be the speaker.

Information about future lectures will appear on the museum web site <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nmmc.co.uk/pages/whatson/whatson.asp?id=4>http://www.nmmc.co.uk/pages/whatson/whatson.asp?id=4</A>.

Book early when talks are announced as seats are selling out quickly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Nope. Went about three weekes ago and it wernt free. Who's Libby Purves??. She sounds like like some one I would like to know!! Cant say there was a big queue for the sailing boats. Anyway I did my back in, opening one of there drawers. Who do I sue.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

cgull

Visit site
I keep my boat in Penryn

Try Truro to Gweek....good fun. And the Helford River Sailing Club is far better than the pubs, and has showers. Good pub at Gweek.

Up at Malpas(Fal) there is a visitors pontoon and a pontoon just beyond Smugglers good for BBQs.

Altogether an excellent cruising area ,one of the best in fact

<hr width=100% size=1>