Fairline 65 Squadron

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Wow, blue hull too (Fairline must have been reading this forum).

Remember this pic....

sq3.jpg

Pete

Hurricane

Visit site
From a berthing, weight and performange/engine size, it is very much the same as my Princess 67.
So I had a quick look at the Fairline web site.

No inside stairs - shame, other builders seem to be removing them from their designs.
A boat as large as this definately benefits from a crane and dinghy on the FB - on our P67 you can forget that the dinghy is there most of the time.
The whole F/B on the Squaddie seems a bit exposed - I suppose you would get used to it but in the Med surely a bimini is a must so I wonder how that would work.
What are those window looking things on the transom - I suppose it would give some good light to the crews quarters.
Main cabin has the bed transverse (across the boat) - not sure about that - I suppose I'd have to see one to appreciate the layout.
I'm probably a bit biased and definately a bit old fasioned but nothing here makes me want to change my P67.

MapisM

Visit site
Geez, I didn't realise that.
A 20m flybridge with a lifting platform?!?
And what did they put on the f/b, the galley?
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

D

Deleted User YDKXO

[ QUOTE ]
What are those window looking things on the transom - I suppose it would give some good light to the crews quarters

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered that myself. Maybe they're Fairline's sop to the eco mentalists and they're solar panels but they don't look big enough to power the cockpit lights!

[ QUOTE ]
No inside stairs - shame, other builders seem to be removing them from their designs

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree with you. I can't understand why owners don't want inside steps but they do 'coz I met just such a Squaddie owner last Friday

[ QUOTE ]
A boat as large as this definately benefits from a crane and dinghy on the FB - on our P67 you can forget that the dinghy is there most of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't agree with that. The Sq65 F/B looks fab IMHO. Having the tender up top reduces the size of the F/B significantly and the F/B is where you want to be in the Med. If the bimini is anything like the very substantial one fitted to the Sq68 I saw on Friday, it covers virtually the whole F/B

[ QUOTE ]
Main cabin has the bed transverse (across the boat) - not sure about that - I suppose I'd have to see one to appreciate the layout

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with you on that. I think the Sq65 cabin will feel much smaller than a full width one with a central bed and you can read in the blurb that Fairline don't really know whether the mid cab or the forward cab is the master cab.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably a bit biased and definately a bit old fasioned but nothing here makes me want to change my P67

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with you too despite the F/B design. I think the P67 saloon is bigger and the forward dinette is a nicer place to be than the Sq65 one but the clincher would probably be the master cabin

MapisM

Visit site
I see your points re. the dinghy, but as usually it's a matter of priorities.
Would you buy (and pay) a 67' boat and get a 61' hull in return (!) just for an additional sunpad on the f/b? Which remains a more than decent f/b anyhow, also without it.
Imho, starting from 20m or so, the rib upstair is by far the best compromise.

jfm

Visit site
I Wouldn't want the RIB on the fly - nuisance to launch/retrieve in weather and it eats up important space. But I agree with you Mapis that if I got a boat Xm long I wouldn't want the hull x-2m becuase of the up/down platform. I'd rather have the hull running all the way to the back and the tender launched by a crane. Like the Sq58 in my size range, or the Freti 731 at the 70 foot level, and so on. That extra 2m of hull is a big benefit to sea keeping and some extra displacement speed. The aft panels are crew cabin windows. Similar idea to 'hattan 70

MapisM

Visit site
Well, I could live with what's left of the f/b of a 20m boat anyway, and I'd rather enjoy an always free swim platform, regardless of the hull point.
It's a case of each to their own, I suppose.

Btw, didn't see you around lately.
Son Vida in the meantime posted a clip showing your teaching techniques.
Just in case you missed it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Firstly I don't why you refer to a 67ft boat. I know the loa is 67ft but it's called a Sq65 so it's a 65ft boat. Secondly, if the bathing platform is hydraulic, IMHO thats something that some buyers might be happy to have instead of the extra hull length because launching and recovering the tender is much easier and, for a charter boat, for example, on which the guests want to be ferried ashore often or simply want to take rides in the tender, thats quite an important factor. Also I agree with jfm that launching a tender from the FB is more difficult especially in a rolly anchorage and you always need 2 people to do it. I've seen a tender smash into a saloon window during just such an operation because the husband was operating the crane from the FB and the wife couldn't stop the tender swinging around
So, would I pay for a 65ft boat with a 61ft hull and a hi/lo platform instead of having an extra 2ft of hull? Actually I might think about it

MapisM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know the loa is 67ft but it's called a Sq65 so it's a 65ft boat.

[/ QUOTE ]Huh? In my simple mind, I'd rather say I know she's called Sq65 but she's 67' LOA, so she's a 67' boat... But that's just semantic.
My train of thoughts is that if I'm looking at a boat of a given size, I want to make the best possible use of ALL her spaces. Therefore:
1) The f/b on a 20m boat can be large enough for two ribs, a jacuzzi, a barbecue, a fridge, an icemaker and a settee for 8 with a very large table - and a huge secluded sunpad above the hardtop. So, space up there is enough for just about everything, though I must admit that I'm talking about f/b boats along the style of Outer Reef and the likes, where the f/b takes the full beam and extends above the pilothouse. The f/b of planing boats like the Squaddies, albeit impressive in their category, is much smaller in comparison.
2) As a result, the swim platform can and should be as SMALL as possible, 'cause for any given LOA the space is better used for cockpit, cabins, etc.: 2 or 3' is more than enough to use it... ermm... as a swim platform.
3) Below that, why not have some hull? Which in turn allows for huge storage spaces under the platform (which would be unaccessible with the rib).
4) Launch and retrieve from the f/b actually can be handled alone, unless the rib is really huge. But I accept that this is a minus of this solution and requires some attention; I just happen to give a higher value to the oher advantages.

Anyway, I agree that the lifting platform might make sense on a chartered boat where the rib is very frequently launched and retrieved. Btw, it also stabilizes the boat a bit when anchored.
And as I said, the "each to their own" principle always rules, at the end of the day! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I like hi lo platforms because as you say, they stabilise the boat a bit, but mostly because I think they are great to sit on with a glass of wine, either on a chair with your toes in the water, or on your bum with your legs or body in the water. Also great for swimmers.