Fairline 58: unedited sneak preview of forthcoming MBY test report!

G

Conventional wisdom would preclude a design offering the sheer luxury of a 70 foot boat within the confines of a 58 foot hull. And yet that very same sagacity would also invite the possibilty that we can also get away with lightly slagging off another ho hum fat 58 foot cruiser for ho hum fat 58-year-olds, this time from Fairline, whose legal department is, as we all know, rather weak and feeble since that weedy new chap took over from the worringly large Sam Newington, and his equally huge kids and upper-class wife.

Preliminary impressions at the London Boat Show were not promising. The Ed got half a poxy lager on the Fairline stand, and the asst ed got a flippin cup of tea. Tea! Bloody Tea!

No matter, on with the test, albeit now scoring a max 8/10 due to the aforementioned, yet simultaneously a minimum 8/10 seeing as how there's an extremely good chance of a some loan boat from Peters for a long thrash in the Med. It could have been with this, but it's more likely to be something cheap.

Below decks there's ample whatever gloss yerknow yawn avonite carpety space where stuff gets chucked in, drinks and Oi! turn up the music willya down there?

The spacious foredeck has cushions in stripy blue, just exactly the effing same as that old Sam's wife chose ten years ago, and they haven't had any other ideas.

In the engine compartment, there's very reasonable access to essentials, cos the boat is 58 feet long. So it's hardly gonna be inchy-tight is it now? No. If the boat was bigger, like 70 or 80 feet long, there'd be more space, and if it was only say 35 or 45 feet long there'd be less.

As usual, here's a picture of that bloke in the engine compartment with his clipboard, pretending to take notes about an engine that is not even running. Note that he's is in fact a very small bloke, who never ever complains about headroom, and his clipboard is in fact A5 size, not A4.

At sea, we were reassured by its solid seakeeping. That means it floats. If it was crap at "seakeeping" then of course it would flop around like a Lilo, or even sink. Anyway, we found it's seakeeping was 8/10, since it's much better than a Lilo, but nowhere near as good as, say, the Eddystone Lighthouse. As ever, the Fairline finish was very impressive. Mostly, that's because it was a brand new boat, and not oldish. So, all the seats inside and out were really really white and spanky clean, and nobody had even used the loos, or walked on the carpet much.

But (and it's a big But) who likes high-polished wood below decks? Hmmm? Well, it might be just fine for those few who choose a Fairline. Or a Princess. Or Ferretti or Sunseeker or Rizzardi or Bennetti, or Bahia or Sealine or Pershing or Azimut or Palmer Johnson or Hatteras or Baglietto or Riva or Maiora or Cranchi. But not for the rest of us in Brooms or Traders, or other old nanky pre-1990-designed boats. The ed likes Real Boats with sandpaper marks and oil and fishing attachments. And the asst ed likes nutter loony aargh yahoo getting nearly thrown off the back with neck-snapping acceleration.

Added to that, who on earth would buy a boat like this, at around 650 bleeding grand. Apart from someone who can't afford a Ferretti 68 at over a million, but indeed does have the requisite 0,65M. So there won't be many takers. Apart from a few people. Unless maybe they got lashed by the stock market. But, there again,there's loads of mugs who bought the Sqaudron 65 on the basis that it has a fold-out ironing board, so that's okay then.

We like: Free trips on nice new boats, lager in pint glasses, lots of space to loaf about, unvarnished wooden bits, big shiny metal bits outside, slagging off Fairline a bit.

We hate: attempting to value-judge boats that cost more than a very big house, being chased by that berk with a camera, trying to work the gizmos and finding out the PDI hasn't been done, not being allowed to lie down on the beds for a snooze cos they've sold the boat, Fairline salespeople droning on and on and on about quality whilst waiting for an engineer to fix things.

G

Thanks Matt. Your boat reports are much better thn what I've read up to now, can I take out a subscription to your magazine instead of that glossy one I've occasionally bought up till now? Let me know where to send the £3.20 a month or whatever it is.

On the Squadron58, you forgot to mention its cruising range...please confirm whether suitable to kidnap two people, lock them in securely, and motor from Gibraltar to Nassau or somewhere near there, while keeping 20% reserve fuel. How many pot noodles would that trip require, assuming 3 crew and 20% reserve, as before?

Attachments

• DSCF1620.jpg
    DSCF1620.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1617.jpg
    DSCF1617.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1619.jpg
    DSCF1619.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • mrs elton.jpg
    mrs elton.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0
G

Re: ask the expert

Ahaaa so you do have 456 (I deduce from your other posts)- nice! Still for sale or gone now? And re the blast to Cannes, how do you rate the E55? I'm torn between that (in 4 door form) and M5. My blast is only London-Lymington, but the principles are the same I suppose. Advice appreciated.

Also do you know what the Fr rozzers do to you if they find your speed camera detector? Makes Agincourt look like a walk in the park, and the Brits lose. The Morpheous GPS anti-speed trap (which is prob not illegal there?) is still a year away from being launched with a French database, alas.

G

Re: Fairline 58: test conditions

Readers should note that the above test report was compiled under a combintaion of weather conditions, from flat calm, through to a somewhat luimpy force 5/6 in the North Sea. So it's quite fortunate that we weren't actually on the boat during that weather. Instead, we were in the office. However, one of us had a little go on one out of Chichester to get the pics.

You should know that the pot noodle endurance test was discontionued some time ago, after that fiasco trying to warm up a whole carton packs of Pot Noodles on the rocker covers on those sunseekers and then they overflowed, hence we only get to do a few princesses/sunseekers/fairlines these days, and quite a lot of baltic/channel trudgy things that even MBM wouldn't do....

G

I can't afford a Fairline 58 or even anything over about 30ft new so maybe I am a little jealous but

a) Do rich people go into different harbours from me. Mostly when I return to the boat my feet are covered in all sorts of sh...t! I have blue carpets, white gel coat etc and it is hard enough keeping those any where near clean. Why is it de rigeur for new boats to have pale pastel coloured carpets or even white carpets - don't rich people get dirty feet too?

As for high gloss woodwork - how does it look after a few seasons wear and tear? My traditional teak finish looks as good today as when new 11 years ago. maybe rich people don't have hot mugs on their woodwork or bags/tools/etc. dragged past.

or maybe they can just pay to have it all replaced every year

Like I said, I'm just jealous.

Nick

G

Matt

Havn't seen the report yet but it seems like you may be rambling somewhat. If you're not then I apologise, if you are then chuck me a pint of what you've had

Attachments

• Dinghy5.jpg
    Dinghy5.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
G

Re: dry land

Either wd be fine and jolly. The m5 is a bit obvious, and I'm a merc person - too skinflinty for the heavier BM deprec, and merc bigger inside plus (imho) better engineering. I'm only in an e430 debadged estate, comfier ride but woolier in bends, altho will upgrade to an e55 eventually. Agreed radar detectors are right out, but detachable. Fr rozzers all do a 35 hr week, so no nightimes thankyou. it seems. Worried speeders should discard toll tickets which might show the time (but I've never had probs) and pay max whack plus a quid.

The 456 costs 3quid a mile deprec for the first 15k, (so the trip cost 10 blimmin grand) but lots of respec in busy traffic. Still for sale, yours for er nothing seeing as it's here, plus very reasonable £100k delivery charges anywhere in the uk.

I am most interested in the gps speed trap reader. Tell us more!

Weirdly, the fr local newspapers actually publish where the movable speed traps will be for the forthcoming week. The best known is the one on the way back up the mway to calais, just before peage so hit the brakes from St omer exit. All the others go past, then get flashed by innoucuous looking unmarked hatchback parked with rear open on the hard shoulder on a really great ripping downhill bit. Ahem, but first time you won't be ready, so get flashed. Flic at the tollbooth will direct you to one side with a wave, once you've paid. Give him a big smile, and a big wave as you go past, and wave again as you see him double arm waving in the rear view mirror. Don't feel bad about this, esp when you see how many fr/ger cars get off free on the m2/m20.

G

So it was you who was going to write that thriller was it? I always wondered if anyone would tell him that there are no filling stations in the Atlantic.

G

Four down one to go

So we've had the James Bond thriller script, the Boat Show TV script, the trip report and now the boat review. All I can think is you've still got the radio programme to do.

What could it be?

Just a Minute? I'm sorry I haven't a clue?

As always Matt, Excellent stuff, LOL