F%£&ing Rudder repair!!!

Seagreen

Visit site
By way of having a right moan, I'll share this with all of you.

In a winter mud berth, my boat "Sat back" on her rudder and caused a split at the top end where the blade joins the stock. I think the crack itself only runs about 2 foot down a 5 foot blade. So I have to get the rudder off to fix this. OK so far?

Now yesterday, with the boat in the hoist, and after an hour of swearing and banging we finally get the rudder off. However, due to the exertions of getting the rudder of a seemingly mis-aligned top pintle, the top pintle bracket now has some slight play in it when it didn't before. This bracket is riveted through the sternpost with 4 copper rivets. Now, in replacing the fixed rudder, should I get a machine shop to slightly enlarge the hole in the gudgeon off the rudder and grease the whole assembly, and hope for the best or should I remove the pintle and fill the old holes with oak trenails, and re-drill and re-rivet the pintle back on. Rather hoping to avoid the expense of another lift out.

Comments and suggestions all welcome.

mq1910

www.mayqueen1910.com
Really, by making the hole bigger you are just postponeing the inevitable. You will eventually have to replace and redrill the pintle, so unless you are investing in a refit next winter when boat will be out of the water, get it done now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
<span style="color:blue"> </span>

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk
It is your RUDDER! A real pain if it is at all compromised. I regard rudders as top priorty on any boat, and there must not be any doubt in it.,
Saying that, try just hardening up the clenches!

PS, I am sure everyone knows this...when in a mudberth lash the tiller amidships, and not just a few turns arouind the tiller either!
Seen many broken rudders from casual lashing, or non at all.

Nothing personal Seagreen, just for the benifet of all!!

Peterduck

Visit site
Re: F%£&amp;ing Rudder repair!!!

Is there enough metal around the rivet holes to allow you to use a rivet 1/16" larger? Also, can you get a drill into position to drill the rivet holes in the sternpost 1/16" larger? Going for a thicker, and hence stronger rivet in this most crucial fitting can't be a bad thing provided that the casting is not compromised. The metal around the hole should be as wide as the diameter of the hole.
Peter.

Seagreen

Visit site
Alright, I know I have to do it. The boat has to be lifted out anyway to put the rudder back on. I am actually quite amazed that the top (loose) pintle has only 6" of metal strapping either side of the sternpost. Yes, I am annoyed that the rudder suffered obvious damage an that I've none to blame but myself, and I did lash the tiller, but the boat moved sdeways as well as downhill... Should have seen it coming. I may well try Peterduck's suggestion as well. One week in a cradle won't kill me though. Its just the waste of fine sailing weather early in the year that really annoys me.