Ex partner refusing to complete Part 1 shares transfer

deepstar

sy-edm.com
I presently own a yacht registered as UK Part 1, with myself owning 54 shares and my ex-partner owning 10 shares.

Despite having agreed - and in fact signed the changed of ownership - she is now unwilling to return the paperwork to me, I rather suspect she is holding out for some more money - but as she has already been financially recompensed I am rather reluctant to hand over any more money. I have now been waiting most patiently for 8 months.

I am currently paying all the berthing, maintenance and insurance.

The Value of the Yacht I guess is 64K, so there is no point in spending more than her values (10K) on legal fees.

Has anyone had any similar experience - and if so... would they are to enlighten me.

Or if someone knows a legal firm that may be able to assist?

Many thanks

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Send her the full berthing bill, she is after all a registered owner

Situations like this are rarely as simple as explained at first are they? My apologies, but where does she feel you are screwing her over that justifies her withholding the papers?

Getting lawyers involved is likely to make the lawyers more money, little else.

Tranona

Visit site
Agree. You need to find out why she is not honouring her agreement. There is nothing lawyers can do that you can't if you don't have a legally enforcable agreement. The key document is the Bill of Sale as that is the title and it might be worth taking advice as to whether that allows you to remove her interest from the register. A call to Cardiff would be a good start.

penfold

Visit site
If she won't play nice, pursue her for the accumulated extra costs in the small claims court; that should focus her mind on what really matters.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Forge her signature to de-register it & re-register in your name on SSR. Then sell it & buy a different one. Sure it's illegal, but apart from checking on here, how will she find out? And what will she be able to do after the event?

rivonia

Visit site
Forge her signature to de-register it & re-register in your name on SSR. Then sell it & buy a different one. Sure it's illegal, but apart from checking on here, how will she find out? And what will she be able to do after the event?

You have surprised me by encouraging a person to break the law. It is just not on.

Please let him and others know that you were JOKING?

Peter

Visit site
I agree. It was an outrageous suggestion.

Searush, get in your car, take care not to exceed 30mph, and hand yourself into the local police station immediately. Tell them to throw away the key.

I am deeply shocked. :)

ghostlymoron

Visit site
It's very difficult having civilised discussions with a recent ex - feelings run high (I have recent experience of this). It's best to get an intermediary of some sort. Depending on the value of the boat you could discuss it with your solicitor.

cutofherjib

Visit site
I do seem to have caused a bit of a stir. I thought it was quite a cunning plan - if not terribly honest. :D

But it's blown now I explained it on here isn't it? :rolleyes:

It is a much better idea than going to a solicitor. Apologies to any solicitors on here, but everyone knows they take your cash for doing not a lot and can make matters worse.

deepstar

sy-edm.com
Searush - I had thought of that - but I do not like the thought of looking over my shoulder all the time..... so it will be done legally.

Thanks for the other links that you have posted. I'll let you know how things progress.

deepstar

sy-edm.com
Result !!!!

I'm not sure if it was the weight of the "how dare they " you all expressed (you did all express such shock I hope), or the simple fact that eventually most people will do the right thing, as long as you do not give them a cause/reason to be difficult. Yesterday the paperwork started heading back to me. So I hope this extra hassle after already a difficult separation has finally come to a close.

I'll expand the info a little more.....

I'm English, my separated (financially now very secure ex-partner is Philippino), and the UK Part-1 registered yacht is in Malaysia. I live in the Middle East !!! ok Complex enough for everyone ?

After doing the separation in Aug 2010, which included her signing her 10 shares of the yacht over to me, I got the paperwork back to Cardiff, only for them to find some slight in-accuracies with her info/details.

I did contemplate "just helping" the process, but preferring to do things legally, I contacted my-ex through her lawyer and in November (after she had agreed she would correct the mistakes) and sent her the paperwork. And I waited.... and waited and waited.

Since Nov '10 I have been asking for the paperwork, now corrected to be returned to me.

After 4 months of gentle - "What is the status" I'm pleased to say that the paperwork is returning. I at no time tried to start an argument, score points or generally express my true feelings - and this I fully believe has resulted in a successful conclusion to proceedings.

Had she not done this, then I was considering the following options.

1) Requesting her removal from the Part1 paperwork as she no longer has a UK Address.
(I do not know where this would have gone. I never followed it up).
2) Selling my Shares to a non UK person, I possessed 54 shares - and Part 1 requires the majority shareholder to be UK person or Company.
(I do not know where this would have gone. I never followed it up).
3) Pay up (again) - and move on.

I'm happy not to have to endure either of those options.

Lessons learned

1) Never share your yacht with anyone you do not completely trust
2) Get the Yacht paperwork sorted - prior to that "final goodbye". You never know when you ex's almost never used inner family name (which would be totally un-acceptable in a game of scrabble) will cause paperwork problems.
3) Talk to the people at Cardiff - they have been most reasonable.

But most of all..... KEEP YOUR COOL

Fair winds