Ex ior 2 ton lead keel ?

markhomer

Visit site
Sorry to say your question is so vague that no meaningful definitive answer exist , there was no standard spec for ior keels for any construction , it could be anything , ior produced some amazing concoctions in its time , wouldnt even be suprised if it was wood at the bottom :) , keelbolts are easily spotted in a bilge , absence of which would suggest some sort of encapsulation , screw lids in bilge would suggest changeable ballast by lead shot or similar , wether or not in additional to solid lead or iron below who knows ( orig designer praps , but could even been modded since then , current owner ? ) , if its ior , additional ballast could be secreted elsewhere too as ior didnt favour stability .

Last edited:

Artic Warrior

Visit site
Hi,

I understand what your meaning, but my question is has anyone ever seen a encapsulated keel on an alloy boat then filled with lead, or is generally that a solid lead keel is bolted on.

Sorry to say your question is so vague that no meaningful definitive answer exist , there was no standard spec for ior keels for any construction , it could be anything , ior produced some amazing concoctions in its time , wouldnt even be suprised if it was wood at the bottom :) , keelbolts are easily spotted in a bilge , absence of which would suggest some sort of encapsulation , screw lids in bilge would suggest changeable ballast by lead shot or similar , wether or not in additional to solid lead or iron below who knows ( orig designer praps , but could even been modded since then , current owner ? ) , if its ior , additional ballast could be secreted elsewhere too as ior didnt favour stability .

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Anything's possible, but if I were betting I'd say through-bolted. If it were a cruising boat I'd be less certain, but would still put a tenner on it.

saltylegs

Visit site
I used to sail on a 1979 alloy 2 tonner, she had a lead keel which I believe was cast around a stainless steel web with bolts.
I have never seen an alloy race boat with an encapsulated lead keel, but IIRC they may have cropped up on some alloy cruisers with short stubby keels.

Boo2

Visit site
I used to sail on a 1979 alloy 2 tonner, she had a lead keel which I believe was cast around a stainless steel web with bolts.
I have never seen an alloy race boat with an encapsulated lead keel, but IIRC they may have cropped up on some alloy cruisers with short stubby keels.
Yes, this homebuilt Dix 43 has an aluminium encapsulated lead keel see here.

I don't have the link to hand but I have also seen a Van der Stadt (IIRC) fin keeled yacht built in aluminium with an aluminium encapsulated bulb keel with all the lead in the bulb. The keel on that was far from short and stubby if not in racing yacht territory.

Hth,

Boo2

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Metal boats usually have encapsulated keels because it simpler to build just extend the hull in a different shape rather than waste time welding a keel on. We had a steel boat and it had and encapsulated keel and lead ingots held together by tar.

lw395

Visit site
Metal boats usually have encapsulated keels because it simpler to build just extend the hull in a different shape rather than waste time welding a keel on. We had a steel boat and it had and encapsulated keel and lead ingots held together by tar.

That's common on cruising boats, bit different on IOR boats in the main.
But then the IOR was so potty that some boats had wood keels.