Epoxy Mess

Ralph

Visit site
I was fitting some clutches to my coach roof; as I have endgrain balsa sandwich I was making big holes and filling them with West System epoxy with microfibres filler before redrilling for the bolt holes. This was very successful. I had mixed slightly too much so decided to use the tiny bit left over to fill in some of the very small holes in the gelcoat on the deck. It looked great at the time but a week later it has dried off to a yellow/brown colour and looks truly dreadful. The areas are have moulded tread pattern so rubbing back with wet 'n' dry isn't really an option. Any help to remedy this mess would be much appreciated

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Epoxy is resistant to chemical attack by just about anything, and definitely anything that a DIYer can get hold of. Your only options are mechanical. A small grinding wheel maybe? You can buy a tool like a dentist's drill at model shops. Maybe you could borrow one of these?

Boathook

Visit site
I've been using the B&D multi tool to 'work' epoxy. It's the same as the Dremel and with the right bits has been a best buy for last year. Epoxy is affected by UV which makes it go brown. Another option is to clean the area and paint over some gel coat to match existing.

RobertMartin

Visit site
Like all the other posts have said, Expoy is damaged by UV, I am using it in large amounts on my deck in Australia ( lots of UV ), it goes yellow/brown in a few days. Epoxy on a deck has to be painted to protect it...

Bobby aka Seawolf..
Freedom is the song of your soul..

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Re: Epoxy repair

G’day Ralph.
I have repaired my GRP deck when damaged by a dropped spinnaker pole; I used a Dremel to grind out the damaged area to ensure I had a good surface to work on, then filled with West System epoxy mixed with micro-balloons, they have a smoother finish than fibres, let it start to set then removed the top layer with a small sharp chisel. Returning the next day I washed the area with fresh water and a scouring pad, then cleaned off with acetone; masked the area off with tape leaving about 25mm (Half an inch) of the original deck exposed around the wound, this was painted and the tape removed then left to dry for a week; the final step was to polish out the edge line (Left by the tape), resulting in a near invisible repair.

Avagoodweekend Old Salt Oz……