Epoxy for a bit of glass work.. West Systems??

wipe_out

Visit site
Hi,

We need to cut out a bit of soft ply in the V berth and replace it and it needs to be tabbed onto the hull with some glass.. Also I want to paint the whole piece with the epoxy to "water proof" it.. Is West Systems the go to product for any epoxy and glass work or is there something better/cheaper?

Also any suggestions on where the best place is to buy epoxy and fibre glass?

Thanks..

VicS

Visit site
Hi,

We need to cut out a bit of soft ply in the V berth and replace it and it needs to be tabbed onto the hull with some glass.. Also I want to paint the whole piece with the epoxy to "water proof" it.. Is West Systems the go to product for any epoxy and glass work or is there something better/cheaper?

Thanks..

Not necessarily West There are others but the West manuals are the most comprehensive instruction guides that I have found so far

I have used two suppliers "East Coast Fibreglass Supplies" and "CFS". Excellent service from both but there are plenty of other sources

De.windhoos

Visit site
Hi,

Thanks..

If you are just using plain resin, hardner and glass, any old brand will do. Just check the factory date, because it has a limited shelf life.

West systems is more expensive, but their pumps and the different types of additives are great. Also go to their side and read their documentation, the have a section on using epoxy on wood. Al their document is outstanding and free. They also have a book on GRP that is essentially the bible.

Also the youtube videos from Boatworks Today are great if this is the first time you're messing with the messy stuff :)