Epoxy coating on new boat

G

I have ordered a new Bavaria from Opal Marine. Although they have a long list of 'Optional' extras, the one thing they don't offer is preventative epoxy painting. The underwater section of the hull is laid up with isopthalic resin, which I know is supposed to be osmosis resistant.
Any thoughts on whether I should epoxy the hul before anti-fouling is applied? Any advice would be much appreciated.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I've ordered a new boat , not Bavaria, and asked the same question. The reply I got was that an epoxy coating wasn't necessary because it's an isophthalic gel coat. I was also told that on a new gel coat, an epoxy coating can do more harm than good. On my last boat I waited for 5 years until the end of the guarantee, had the hull metered, then had the hull coated with a preventive epoxy coating. I might do the same this time.

jamesjermain

Visit site
I would question the 'more harm than good' statement. I have not heard this argument before and cannot say whether it is true or not. Do you know what the claim was based on?

My understanding has been that, while isophthalic resins are undoutedly better than orthophthalic, they are considerably less resistant to blistering than epoxy. Before this posting, if I had been asked I would have said that, if you planned on keeping the boat for more than five years, an epoxy coating was worth the couple of thousand it would cost, and that the best time to do it would be from new.

JJ

brianhumber

Visit site
I agree with James, my Barracuda has been epoxied since new 87 by previous owner and kept up by me. She still has a dry hull with no blisters.

cynthia

Visit site
We have a Bavaria which has been expoxied from new. Some will say, wait until the hull warrantee runs out then do it, others will tell you to 'coat the sponge before it can soak up any water'. Which one you go for is entirely up to you. Having had a boat with the big e which needed lengthy and expensive remedial treatment, we opted to have ours done, if only for peace of mind!

suse

Visit site
Epoxy on an old boat

The boat in question was epoxied about 3/4 years ago - does this have to be redone? If so, how often, how much (cost), or is there a 'patches only' possibility? I havent yet seen the boat's hull. Does one antifoul in the usual manner over the top, and does the antifoul have to be a particular type to stick to the epoxy? Thanks everyone

jamesjermain

Visit site
Re: Epoxy on an old boat

A boat of this age should not need re-doing. I would not expect trouble for at least 10 years though it might be 'at risk' from five years onwards. Do nothing until you are sure you have trouble. Then, if it is local, treat it locally.

Normal antifouling and antifouling methods are quite adequate. You will need to prime if the the epoxy is currently untreated.

If this is a boat you are buying, the situation is slightly different. A surveyor will be able to advise on the condition of the epoxy and of the substrate. Take his advice. If there is any evidence of blistering, use it as a bargaining tool. Check with the vendo whether there is a warranty or insurance on the epoxy treatment and if there is, ensure that ther vendor gets the work done (the policy might not be transferable).

I don't know the currrent cost of epoxy treatment but would guess at about £4,000 for a 30ft boat.

JJ

cynthia

Visit site
Re: Epoxy on an old boat

A lot less than that. A reputable local yard in N. Wales, where our boat was commissioned, charged less than half that for our 34 footer. Might cost more on an older hull as there would be more preparation.

stiknstring

Visit site
James, I have no doubt that you are correct on all fronts. I bought a new Bav40 this year and pondered whether it was worth having this done at all, now, or in 5 years time. I came to the conclusion that if I was intending to keep the boat for 5 years+ (and I am) then it was worth doing anyway for peace of mind- and to do it from new meant that we got to the hull before any other treatments had been applied. So we saved considerable money on the preparation and then had the antifouling applied once the epoxy had really cured. We only paid £770 for the treatment - which was not much more than the cost of the material. In fact with the antifoul treatment included, we only paid £1200 the lot. I only itemise these costs as a reposte to your estimate of £4,000. It can be done alot cheaper if you choose the right time to do it.

G

Did you get Opal to arrange for the epoxy treatment, or did you sort it out yourself? When I mentioned it to Opal, they seemd to suggest it was not necessary. However, like you, I intend to keep the boat for a few years and feel that a bit of money spent now (yet more!) might be money well spent.

stiknstring

Visit site
No, I had it done by a French dealer who sold me the boat and did the epoxy/antifouling as an extra. If you are having it done in the UK, I am sure Opal will do it for you.