Engines

DavidP

Visit site
Hi,
Will two ,40HP outboards give the same amount of forward power as one single 80HP outboard, two 60HP the same as one 120HP, if not why, i seem to remember being told once it doesnt work like that ,if so can anyone explain and i can settle the argument at work.

Cheers ,
Dave.

G

I suppose they might be right as with 2 you have more weight, more drag in the water with 2 props, an 80 hp engine will weigh only about 1.25 times more than 1 40 hp engine so with 2 40hp engines you will have poor power to weight ratio than compared to 1 80 hp engine, I would rather have 2 anyway espacially on the sea, a better bet is to have 1 large engine on a rib type boat and say a small get you home engine on the transom off to one side, already pip;ed up with its own tank etc.

Paul js.

adarcy

Visit site
I think pauljs is right but it's mostly due to the extera drag in the water than the weight.
I believe the rule of thumb is you only get about half i.e. 2 x 40 hp = 1 x 60 hp and gets worse if you have a really fast boat i.e. 2 x 150 may not = 1 x 225.
Obviously twins give security and more manoevrability but they are often set v close together. Paul's plan of one v big lump and a low powered get-you-home with completely separate fuel system is probably better but if you NEED 2 x 225.....

Canboria

Visit site
When I water ski raced I ran a Phantom 21 in F2, single outboard, most used 2.5 fuel injected Mercs, top end around 75/80mph, F1 still used 21 foot boats with twin 2.5 Mercs, obviously boat was heavier, bigger fuel tanks, heavier lay-up in hull, more drag from gearboxes, 2 engine's are heavier than 1, top speed around 100 mph or just over, not a large increase in speed but you got there a lot lot quicker.

Now most twin rigs will run with short leg gear boxes from Inshore F1 circuit cats reducing drag considerably.

Derek