Engine Temperature Gauge

DaveAlpine

Visit site
I have fridge compressor run from the engine with a magnetic clutch. When switching the fridge on the temerature gauge immediately read about 5 degrees higher. Not a problem as I am familiar with this minor foible and could still see changes in engine temperature.
But last time out in the boat, switching the fridge on showed an instant rise of about 15 degrees. Nothing has changed in the boats wiring that I have so far been able to find. Any ideas on what might have caused this change? What else should I be checking?

G

Dave

Could it be the warmer weather??

In warmer weather the compressor will be running longer to drop the temperature in the chiller cabinet down to the set operating temperature.

The magnetic clutch will be "in" for longer and the engine will be "on load" for longer.

Alternatively you could have lost some (all?) of the refrigerant and the system is working harder whacking the gas around the system.

Send me a personal email and I'll explain the theory of mechanical refrigeration.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

Check the water intake you could be suffering from semi blocked intakes due to the seasonal bloom