Engine pull stop

andrewhopkins

Visit site
Last night, racing in Soton Water, as we packed up we found the handle for the engine stop on the floor.

It had sheared off the wire pull stop.

once berthed, i stopped the engine manually below but how can i reattach it ?

It seems to have a nut fixed to the plastic and the sheared metal within that nut ? Do I drill out the bit of metal and re-tap the pull wire left on the binnacle ?

Would araldite hold it ?

G

Why not replace it with a heavy duty (lots of pull) solenoid as found on electric car boot openers. Just mount it on the engine with some stainless stranded wire attached to the fuel rack lever.

pugwash

Visit site
Interesting point. If the pull-stop came off in my hand I wouldn't have a clue how to stop the engine any other way except perhaps by sticking my head into the cockpit locker and tracking the wire to whatever it operates. Is there any other way to stop a diesel? What if you had to do so in a hurry?

andrewhopkins

Visit site
stopping an engine

It is quite important.

Get someone to operate the stop pull for you while you have the engine open and you'll see the wire moving a lever which kills the engine.

Once you know, you can operate it at the engine itself if necessary.

Also worth noting how the throttle works for the same reason!

Bergman

Visit site
Re: stopping an engine

A true story:

After 6 years faultless behaviour the engine stop cable decided unilaterally to amalgamate itself with the flexible coupling.

Result was that the entire stop mechanism together with the speed governor were pulled out of the engine, which immediately went to maximum revs with no obvious way of stopping it.

Stop lever was no longer there, I dare not lift the decompressors at those revs and the boat was heading for 7 knots - in the marina!

The saviour was that the tool box lives above the engine and I was able to unbolt the fuel line into the injection pump which stopped things.

Damage to engine was much less than I had feared (£150) and we didn't hit anything thanks to my wifes steering.

It was an interesting few minutes though.

johnt

Visit site
Re: A question for bergman

Interesting posting !!...what breed was the engine that it happened on?

Bergman

Visit site
Re: A question for bergman

A Yanmar

But I don't blame the engine I'd known for 5 years that the cable was too long, but it worked and there were other things to do.

You no doubt know the story

G

Decompression lever perhaps ?

If you can get to it quick enough that is !