Engine Obsession !!! Suggestions

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
My wife asked me “When was the last time I checked our car engine?”
I could not remember so I looked at it (after working out how to open the bonnet) and sure enough it was still there.
Then she asked “How come that you are obsessed with the boat engine, always checking for leaks, dribbles, changing this or that, continually checking fluid levels and even cleaning it. Why is the boat engine more important that the car engine. The car has not broken down in 10 years so why should the boat engine?”
It was difficult to give her a rational answer but I need a good reply so I can continue looking after the boat without spending hours doing the same to the car.
Any suggestions?

Little Five

Visit site
I could not remember so I looked at it (after working out how to open the bonnet) and sure enough it was still there.
Then she asked “How come that you are obsessed with the boat engine, always checking for leaks, dribbles, changing this or that, continually checking fluid levels and even cleaning it. Why is the boat engine more important that the car engine. The car has not broken down in 10 years so why should the boat engine?”
It was difficult to give her a rational answer but I need a good reply so I can continue looking after the boat without spending hours doing the same to the car.
Any suggestions?

Ask her to read the 1st two lines on your website. Add that if the car engine breaksdown you can call the AA, Rac etc. If the boat engine does the same it will be at a critical moment, (sods law) and could endanger life. Anytime spent on the engine is never wasted

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Ask her to read the 1st two lines on your website. Add that if the car engine breaksdown you can call the AA, Rac etc. If the boat engine does the same it will be at a critical moment, (sods law) and could endanger life. Anytime spent on the engine is never wasted

I did try something similar but she replied that at least on the boat I would usually have the option of using the sails to get her to the destination much as sailors had done since time started. I suppose I could fit sails to the car to cancel out her thinking.

prv

Visit site
The car's engine, and particularly its installation, is a product of millions of hours of product design, tested in hundreds of thousands of units, in a field where unreliability is not tolerated, maintenance intervals must be infrequent, and the environment that's relatively benign.

The boat's engine is a less sophisticated design, made in fewer numbers for a smaller market. The systems installation is of a very small run, quite possibly unique to your boat, and generally designed by non-experts. Unreliability is not "tolerated", as such, but it's certainly allowed for, and we are also prepared to take more care with maintenance. The environment is often hot, unventilated, damp, and corrosive.

This is why boat engines need more care than modern cars.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Park your car on the beach for a week & try starting the engine.

Sailing home is fine, but why were you planning to start the engine anyway? Contrary tide or wind, lack of time are the usual reasons that I turn to the donk. Sailing to a nearby downwind/ tide anchorage until you get a favourable wind shift or the tide turns is a perfectly acceptable alternative. Will she mind you getting home a few days later, like the old tme sailors often did?

I lost the use of my engine on the way to Douglas some years ago. No problem, we're a sailing boat - but we just missed the tide off Douglas head & couldn't make it into the harbour. Six hours later, the tide turned again & we sailed into the inner harbour without a hitch. I'd have struggled if solo & unable to set watches for 6 hours of tacking on/off the headland. I could have diverted to Pt St Mary tho.

I also sailed back & into Port Penrhyn with no engine a few days later when it became clear I couldn't get the engine fixed in the IoM!

jamesjermain

Visit site
Any suggestions?

Just tell her you're not a computer nerd (unless you are, in which case go to page 94) so you can't work on electronically controlled engines. Boaty engines, OTOH involve good old fashioned mechanics accessible to even real nerds