Engine controls

Wakatere

Visit site
As usual one small job has spawned a couple of larger ones.

The single-lever control is by Vetus; it looks like a Vetus SICO but with a cast handle - I assume that's because it's old - it may be original in which case it's been in the sun rain and salt spray for 48 years.

It now has a number of annoying habits
  • It squeals when you move it, and spray lubricant doesn't help. I haven't been able to get the lever off to try to get to the insides.
  • It's stiff, which makes it hard for the crew to operate and also means there's no "feel" for when the throttle is at the end of its range. This makes it easy to put a lot of stress on the cable bracket at the engine.
  • The neutral button no longer moves.

Is it just trash?

On a related note, the travel if the throttle (it's a Beta 14) is about 3cm but the travel of the cable/lever is 3". Is there some way of limiting the lever travel? I've looked at the installation guide online and I don't see any guidance.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

TIA
Charles

scottie

Visit site
It is possibly a badged version of the TX control now sold by teleflex and probably due retirement and replacement if you can not get the handle off
Default travel is nominal 3"on both gear and throttle on all standard controls
Many throttle connection kits include a method of increasing the travel to give more feel

Tranona

Visit site
The stiffness and squealing is probably corrosion where the spindle goes through the housing and the button seized from a mixture of corrosion and crud. If you can get the handle off you may be able to dismantle the control and housing to clean it all up. Different methods of securing handles to spindles, all of which make it difficult to remove after years of use.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
It is possibly a badged version of the TX control now sold by Teleflex... Default travel is nominal 3"on both gear and throttle on all standard controls

My TX controls have a choice of travel 38mm or 31mm for gear linkage. 38mm is described as 'standard', 31mm for 'special circumstances'.
I use 38mm on my Beta 13.5. Not sure what the throttle travel is. I've noted down 50mm on my instruction sheet.

Wakatere

Visit site
That's more or less what I thought. The handle is fixed with a stainless bolt into alloy and the assembly instructions specify medium strength thread lock. Either something tougher has been used or age has corroded it in. If it were all steel I'd hit it but I'm wary of cracking the alloy. There's too much plastic about to use much heat. I guess I may have to try one or both but I think I'll have to be prepared to replace it.

Wakatere

Visit site
The stiffness and squealing is probably corrosion where the spindle goes through the housing and the button seized from a mixture of corrosion and crud. If you can get the handle off you may be able to dismantle the control and housing to clean it all up. Different methods of securing handles to spindles, all of which make it difficult to remove after years of use.
Thanks for the thoughts.

I finally got the spindle bolt out using Plusgas and leaning harder on the wrench than I'd previously dared - I'll never know which helped, of course.

It didn't really solve anything - I still couldn't get the handle off but I have established that the squealing isn't just the movement in the faceplate so I don't think I'd have fixed it until I got into the internals.

It's a bit academic now because I've damaged it trying to get the handle off - I've ordered a replacement and until that turns up I'll get on with something useful.