Engine Air Inlet Temperature

JMcKillop

Hope some of you gurus can advise as to what the maximum engine air inlet temperature is for a diesel engine. We are running currently with a engine room temp of 50 deg c. :disgust:

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Just trying to recall some thermodynamics and I believe that engine efficiency is proportional to the temperature difference between input and output. So cooler input the better hence the use of intercoolers. Theoretically then there is no maximum as such, the engine just gets more inefficient as the inlet temperature rises.

Portofino

Has it got an intercooler ? If so then that will cool it down .E room temp in the summer on mine must be over 50 oC or arround ,
Here's inlet temp 17 oC by the time the charge air cooler aka intercooler has done its stuff
null_zpsaowo4lst.jpg

JMcKillop

Has it got an intercooler ? If so then that will cool it down .E room temp in the summer on mine must be over 50 oC or arround ,
Here's inlet temp 17 oC by the time the charge air cooler aka intercooler has done its stuff
null_zpsaowo4lst.jpg

Thanks for reply Portofino. No intercooler. Deutz BF4M 1012E. (Vetus DT43)

Latestarter1

Hope some of you gurus can advise as to what the maximum engine air inlet temperature is for a diesel engine. We are running currently with a engine room temp of 50 deg c. :disgust:

Varies slightly from one engine manufacturer to another, however you have not stated your engine make and model and data is contained in specific engine application data.

Having said all that a good rule of thumb is a maximum engine room Delta T of (17 Degrees C / 30 Degrees F) i.e. engine intake temperature Vs ambient air temperature.

This measurement MUST be taken at RATED engine speed and power.

I also work off an absolute maximum rated intake manifold temperature 48.9 Degrees C / 120 Degrees F.

JMcKillop

Varies slightly from one engine manufacturer to another, however you have not stated your engine make and model and data is contained in specific engine application data.

Having said all that a good rule of thumb is a maximum engine room Delta T of (17 Degrees C / 30 Degrees F) i.e. engine intake temperature Vs ambient air temperature.

This measurement MUST be taken at RATED engine speed and power.

I also work off an absolute maximum rated intake manifold temperature 48.9 Degrees C / 120 Degrees F.

Thanks Lateststarter, you sure work to 1 decimal place:encouragement: that's probably the F conversion:congratulatory:. I record mine at 50.2 deg C, if you can rely on the accuracy of the digital thermometer. The engine is a Vetus DT43, (Deutz BF4M 1012E), without an intercooler. I know you lose efficiency at higher temps, my only concern is that no damage will be done to the engine.

Latestarter1

Yes I work off CAT and Cummins data hence working off Fahrenheit conversion, however our American cousins are far more data driven when it comes to engine installations.

Number 1, have you recorded your engine compartment temperature at RATED engine speed, under way?

Number 2, how does 50.2 C compare with the LAT?

The loss in efficiency is no big deal versus excessive TIT (Turbine Inlet Temperature) and the impact on cylinder temperatures. If I was seeing your #'s at rated speed I would knock the installation for marginal engine compartment ventilation.

All sounds a bit typical Vetus "flog em a box" mentality, Deutz 1012E real nice engine but installation inadequately policed.

Good luck