Embarrassing question

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Hi,
I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this question, I feel I should really know the answer.

I'm looking for a SS "U" shaped tube as per the photo below.

I just want the bent bit of tube (not the NAvPod), but I'm struggling to know what it's called.

I've searched online at the usual suspects, Force 4, Cactus, ScanStrut, Lewmar etc, but can find anyone who sell them.

This is probably because I'm not using the correct search term, and I've tried quite a few, so what would you search for and better still who sells them?

Jack the Hedge, our resident pirate is taking the watch, which he often does, especially when the grandchildren are on board:)

Attachments

• IMG_1051_LI doc.jpg
    IMG_1051_LI doc.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I doubt whether it’s an off the shelf item for most boats. If I was looking for a bit of tube like that I’d draw an accurate picture and ask a stainless fabricator to make it.

It should only be a few pounds. (Certainly not £hundreds)

Actually, it is an off the shelf item, but you might be a tad off target with "a few pounds" John.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Navpod-Angle-Guard-AG126/1138090474

For the OP, it's commonly called an "angle guard" or "pedestal guard"

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Actually, it is an off the shelf item, but you might be a tad off target with "a few pounds" John.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Navpod-Angle-Guard-AG126/1138090474

For the OP, it's commonly called an "angle guard" or "pedestal guard"

Ouch!

We obviously use different stainless fabricators. (Although to be fair I haven’t had anything made for about five years now. )

I also note that it’s not a full height pedestal he’s wanting because isn’t that a twin wheel boat and it’s a short height one into the GRP moulding?

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Surely if it's at the correct angle the display should be visible to a wide range of humans ?

One thing not to put in a search is ' guard rail ' as that will result in side stanchions and maybe pulpits and pushpits - I'd have thought something like ' stainless binnacle display mount ' might get somewhere.

It'll have to be custom made though so the photograph put under the nose of a fabricator is the best bet; it will need to be VERY strongly secured as people will be thrown against it and hang onto it in heavy weather.

Last edited:

simonfraser

Visit site
guys that supply canopies / awnings will have SS bent for their use.
the canopy guys will be able to recommend a local firm.

p.s. thought you might want to discuss your woodie :D

Norman_E

Visit site
Two deck fittings and 2 metres of 25mm tube are almost £50 from Seascrew, though the fittings are a lot cheaper here in Turkey. You just need to get the tube bent to your pattern, and I suggest welding it into the deck fittings. Any half decent fabricator could save you buying the fittings by welding a piece of suitably drilled 3mm 316 plate to each end of each tube. Done that way the whole thing should cost about well under £100, as the tube is £20 and its half an hour's work for a skilled man. I have seen fabricators in the Saniye in Marmaris make something much more complex in that time.

pcatterall

Visit site
Two deck fittings and 2 metres of 25mm tube are almost £50 from Seascrew, though the fittings are a lot cheaper here in Turkey. You just need to get the tube bent to your pattern, and I suggest welding it into the deck fittings. Any half decent fabricator could save you buying the fittings by welding a piece of suitably drilled 3mm 316 plate to each end of each tube. Done that way the whole thing should cost about well under £100, as the tube is £20 and its half an hour's work for a skilled man. I have seen fabricators in the Saniye in Marmaris make something much more complex in that time.

yes, I think this sounds right I have had similar parts made locally ( non marine guys) in 316 and in that price order, I supplied the fittings which in my case were not welded but for that job ( as suggested) should be.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

There is no need for fittings, there will be fittings on the deck already and it passes through the pedestal top plate.

Most of these are 1 1/4", a few are 1".

jamie N

Visit site
Ian, I'm intrigued as to why you need a new one? :confused: Also, being ABZ based, you've a wealth of fab shops to make a copy, none of which I can recall! For the costs of it being over £200; ouch, when a pipe-bender costs under a £100....!

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies,

I'd assumed, perhaps naively, it would be standard part. The spacing for NavPods seems to be standard.

It's for the the other helm station.

I had tried all the search terms suggested, except " yacht pedestal rail " or " yacht pedestal guard ", I'll try those and seem what I come up with.

The boat is in Ardrossan, and I've used a good SS fabricator in Largs before, so if a can't find one ready made, I'll go back to him and get him to copy the existing one.

Thanks again, this forum is amazing!

bigwow

Visit site
I've usually had success at finding stainless, in many forms, from a rummage in the non ferrous bay in my local scrap metal yard.