Electronics - drop 12V to 3.6v

Visit site
Im hoping to power one of those wind up camping lanterns from the ships battery, so i need to drop aprox 12v to 3.6v, current negligible as its only running a few LEDs. Im hoping someone can point me to a dc-dc volt dropper i can wire straight in, otherwise what resistance could i put in the circuit to achieve this. Thanks, Matt

johnalison

Visit site
Widely available I believe. I got mine yonks ago but someone mentioned Maplin in a similar post recently. Mine is switchable between about 2v and 12v in steps and I use it for a portable radio.

europe172

Visit site
I used an old mobile phone car charger, just cut off the top and wire the 12v striaght in, the output is often about 5v

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
If they are LEDs you won't need anything more than a resistor - ohms law V = IR or R = V/I take V as the max it will see i.e. the charging voltage (say 14V) less 1.2, and divide by I (in mA) for a result in kOhms. So if it takes 30mA you get (14-1.2)/30 = 0.42 kOhms so use 470 Ohms (next nearest available size up). You also need to know the wattage for the resistor given by I*I*R, in the example (30*30*470)/1000000 = 0.423 Watts so next size up 0.5W. Watts are important if you dont want the resistor to become a fuse! Just connect the resistor in the positive line from the supply (if it's on a cig lighter plug you can lose it inside).

If you're stuck pm me with the current in mA, but I might not be able to answer for a few days.

Cheers

Norman_E

Visit site
Wire 4 of them in series, 4 X 3.6 volts = 14.4 volts which is the maximum voltage you should have when the batteries are on charge, so you wont blow the LEDs through having too high a voltage. I would still expect them to work when battery voltage is down to 12. If the lantern has multiple LEDs in it just put four of them in series.

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
Sorry - made a small mistake so before anyone else pounces on me here is the correction:

i.e. the charging voltage (say 14V) less 1.2, and divide by I (in mA) for a result in kOhms. So if it takes 30mA you get (14-1.2)/30 = 0.42 kOhms

The '1.2' is correct for an LED but you will already have a resistor to allow the lamp to work at 3.6 volts so the formula should be:

i.e. the charging voltage (say 14V) less 3.6, and divide by I (in mA) for a result in kOhms. So if it takes 30mA you get (14-3.6)/30 = 0.34 kOhms so use 330 Ohms.

The resistor will need to dump 0.33 Watts or greater.

Hope that clears it up.